Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    A friend of mine is having a problem with a Windows / PHP server that he has running vB3 on it. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Anyone here have any ideas? Here's his tale:

The server is a dedicated Windows machine running a Plesk interface. Plesk uses a program called Mail Enable and also an anti-viral program called Dr. Web. And other things of course.

There seems to be some odd happenings. One was my fault. There is a default "Server Owner" listed in Plesk. I had no idea it was even there. But the owner was listed as Joe Smith of 123 Elm Street... you know... generic. But the problem was his email was listed as 1@1.1 and that is where some trouble started. Each server event, such as "Hey owner, I backed up again tonight!" was sent to this email. That email bounced of course, and a new email would be sent out saying the email bounced. Rinse and repeat.

So we filled up the server with all these emails, over 100,000 of them. It clogged things up.

So, reset the user email and emails start trickling into me. Old ones. I have gotten over 20,000 of them in the last two days. But that flow keeps stopping and then for some odd reason, starting again.

And I don't think that is the real issue. The email program is writing to logs and creating log files larger than 1 gig each day. And using up a lot of the CPU cycles.

This morning I ran a diagnose utility for Mail Enable on the server...using remote terminal. It is reporting that some services are not working... but this is reaching my limit of technical expertise.... not that this was ever that high.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    May want to post over @ HoH in the server area since it's a server question. Or if you'd like I can just copy it over there.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads