Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: IIS and PHP

Member #
    We running IIS6, php5.04 and Windows 2003. Im experiencing issues with IIS, in that it seems that the sites seem to "slow down", but after an IIS restart, it seems that the perfomance improves.

Im running PHP as ISAPI.

Has anyone ever experienced this before, or has anyone got a solution for it?

Member #
    I've only run IIS 6 under Win XP, which is a scaled down version for local testing or small intranet use.

I believe the Windows Server 2003 holds a heapload of more complex configuration options. (might be wrong)
    If so, then your problems might be configuration related.

Have you tried running PHP as FastCGI instead of ISAPI?

I've tried both. Apperantly, the difference in speed between the two is negligible. (FastCGI runs approx 8 times faster than normal CGI).
    My primary reason for running PHP as FastCGI locally, is to avoid restarting the server if I make experimental alterations to the php.ini file (add/remove modules).

However, there seems to be some general concerns about the stability of the ISAPI module under Windows, while on the other hand FastCGI is praised as ultra-stable (and fast).

One of many arcticles addressing that point:
    http://phplens.com/phpeverywhere/fastcgi-php

Maybe it's worth a try?
    S. Rosland

Member #
    It definitely is worth a try. Does FastCGI come with the default installation of PHP? Or is it something that has to be downloaded seperately?

Ive tried using both CGI and ISAPI, but I think there is a IIS bug when it comes to CGI(Incomplete headers error), but Im willing to give FastCGI a try...

Member #
    I believe FastCGI is included as standard from PHP v4.3 and up, ref www.fastcgi.com for details (also 'PHP USERS NOTE' http://www.caraveo.com/fastcgi/).
    (that is the 'php-cgi.exe' is the FastCGI module)

There are some potential security risks running PHP as a CGI (ref PHP manual), but apperantly IIS have some security features (that Apache lacks) that deals with this.

If you look in your php.ini file:
    Code:
    ; FastCGI under IIS (on WINNT based OS) supports the ability to impersonate
    ; security tokens of the calling client.  This allows IIS to define the
    ; security context that the request runs under.  mod_fastcgi under Apache
    ; does not currently support this feature (03/17/2002)
    ; Set to 1 if running under IIS.  Default is zero.
      fastcgi.impersonate = 1;
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Ive also downloaded Zend Win Enabler. Im going to test it, and see what happens...

BTW whats the best version of PHP to run? Or is it based on the needs of the PHP application?

Member #
    Depends on what you want.

Obviously, the older versions are the most stable. If you want the newest functionality, the latest releases are most interesting.

I think the 5.x version are fairly stable, and adds a lot more OO support then previous versions, if that's a key point. The XML support is far better as well.
    S. Rosland

Remove Ads