Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    This one gets my goat.

I just recently registered a domain name. I choose to register it using the privacy option where your contact info (name, address, etc.) is kept private in the domain "whois?" list.

I chose "private" because I wanted to remain anonymous online (I personally don't like the possibility of being tracked online by co-workers and whoever) and because I thought "private" meant "private".

Well, I bought the domain name to see if I could maybe resell it quick to make a little extra cash. And so I proceeded to post "for sale" announcements in news groups devoted to domains and the web. Well, in my zeal to spread word, I accidentally posted in a news group (one) that considered it spam. needless to say, the group didn't like it and I was reported to my isp. My fault. You don't have to tell me. Whether it was an accident or on purpose, it was my fault, I did it. Fine.

But in response to my illegal post, one of the members of the news group also went ahead and posted my name. I would have never bought the domain name or advertised it for sale if I thought someone could retaliate by posting my name on the internet. I've had past experiences with harassment and I don't like the idea of my name being picked up in a search at all unless I chose to post it myself. But here, I was pronounced "guilty" without a trial and a stranger took the liberty of somehow accessing info I never sent them or gave them permission to use and posted it online. Online companies have elaborate privacy policies to protect their customers (not to mention themselves from lawsuits) and yet some guy just tracked down my name from my website URL (which I registered with the understanding my name would be untrackable from it) and friggin' posted it, basically because he didn't like me.

I posted this to see if there is anything I can do about this legally. As far as I'm concerned my name has to come down. okay, Maybe my isp can ban me (for one unintended spam) at the most, if they want to. But I have past harassment issues and am not comfortable at all with past "associates" tracking me online. Do you think this is fair for one unintended spam or even an intended one?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    PM me the URL and who you registered the domain with. I'll poke around. No, I don't give a flying flip who you are

ISP won't ban you. Legally, with that stupid law Bush just put into effect, you MAY have a leg to stand on, but I doubt it, seeing that it's a damned stupid law. It says that if you can't harrass people online anonymously, or something stupid like that.

Yes, legally there's nothing you can do against the people from that forum. Now as for the domain registrar, that's another story. Depends on some things.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    He's right......the forum you are pretty much screwed.
    All I can say is let this be a lesson. You did everything you could to protect yourself and you made one mistake.............and unfortunately, you wound up in a forum unlike this one (where someone chose to be a jerk).
    There should be some recourse with your registrar though.
    Good luck....
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I got lucky. The poster said he would get the post taken down.

The domain registrar was Yahoo! Domains. Get this:

I checked their privacy option policy more closely. Turns out their "privacy" option for domain registers DOES NOT conceal....wait for it... YOUR NAME! (capitals for emphasis).

How on earth do they get away with calling that "privacy"???? Isn't that what you're paying to keep private: WHO YOU ARE!

I JUST got through paying for privacy and, before my domain name is three days old, they announce my identity to the world! Nice job. If it wasn't so hilarious I could cry.

Needless to say, after 60 days, I'm transfering both my domains over to my to godaddy account.

and please, i know people want to help, but please don't say i should have read the privacy policy. anything that doesn't conceal your name has no right being labelled a "privacy" option.

okay i'm gonna go cry on my pillow now...

Remove Ads