Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Ok,
    I have been searching high and low for a week now for a decent web hosting provider that will host 3-5 domains on one account. I narrowed it down to 2:

www.whizhost.com and www.hummingbirdhosting.com

Neither one returned my emails within 48 hours. Hummingbird took 72 hours to reply and it was an automated reply to the query as to why they didn't reply to the first one. And WhizHost still hasn't replied over 48 hours later. I've also found numerous nightmare customer reviews on WhizHost, which I've included below for your viewing pleasure. I am looking for something pretty basic, but obviously out of the norm. I want about 30 gigs of bandwidth, 500 or more megs of diskspace, FrontPage access/extensions and for around $100-$150 a year. I found the 2 above, but very scared. Are there any really cheap multiple domain providers out there that are halfway decent? I don't need my hand held and nothing fancy like SQL databases, Perl or anything like that. Just simple no-nonsense hosting for 3 sites that in reality are not very busy sites. This all just seems ridiculous. Any ideas?

Oh, and here's the reviews I've found on WhizHost:

1) Found at http://www.savagenews.com/?show=3222

Thanks to our very own Vassil who found time to help me compile the story why was SavageNews down for 3-4 days... without warning/notice. Have a good read

The whole story began in December 2002 when SavageNews left without hosting provider. We researched the market and found a good looking host provider called Whizhost. They promised to host up to 10 domains for a fixed prepaid rate of $100 per year. We prepaid $100 for the whole year and placed SavageNews, SoulSeek Forums and a couple static web pages on one of their servers. Two weeks ago, we received an email from support@whizhost.com complaining about too much pressure (php processes and sql queries) on the server and slowing the overall performance of the web server. Hey, we're not AnandTech, aren't we? Anyway, we responded instantaneously to their email. 30 minutes after they had sent the email we had removed the SoulSeek forum to slow down the SQL load. The Whizhost support center wasn't satisfied with that. Then we removed some functionality of SavageNews. We sent them a response explaining how we shutdown the SoulSeek database, and decreased with a significant number the SQL queries that SavageNews generated. We asked them for the new SQL statistics, expecting to see at least 60% less load. We did all that for less than one day. We were working hardly to improve the performance when suddenly we discovered that our account in Whizhost was disabled without even warning us. They didn't even notified us that they've disabled the account. In the beginning we taught that was a technical problem and wrote to Customer Service. No response. Then we asked if they disabled the account. No response. Then we realized that SavageNews was completely deleted from their web server and our account was disabled. Our last backup of the web site was four months old.
    We sent them an email asking for a copy of the SavageNews database and guess what happened? They ignored our email and did not respond to it. Fortunately I keep all my news in a big text file (not sql format). It took me more than six hours to get all the news back. But we lost all the posts in the forums and all news comments for the last four months. Do you think this is fair? We prepaid the service for a whole year. We used it four months and they played such a dirty trick on us . We told them that we could remove SavageNews and SoulSeek from there, and asked them to leave our static web pages, but our email was ignored once again.
    Our next step will be to report the case in the Better Business Bureau. We are consulting with a lawyer, planning to take legal actions against them. If you, as the people who support SavageNews, would like to tell them how disappointed from that story are, fill free to contact them at sales@whizhost.com, billing@whizhost.com, support@whizhost.com or visit their contact page. Thanks.

We have also realized using services of such host is not secure enough for us anymore. That's why we invested a good sum of money for our own dedicated server so we can keep the site from kicking by such unserious host, who at first hand does not provide their customers with the service they advertise and at second hand their attitude to the customer who are/were paying them money.

Running a dedicated server is not a cheap thing (we are paying over $100 US per month now) and we ask you to click our central banner (under the logo and above the news) more frequently (don't do this more than 1-2 times a day even if you have willing), and of course, check our sponsors' products or whatever they advertise if you're interested. The more you click, the less we pay the difference for server and bandwidth costs.
    Now we have full control over this server and the last days I have spent in upgrading/updating the server software so we are secure and up-2-date. I found a new challenge in managing server and am learning the things fast...

Best wishes and thanks!
    SavageNews.com

2) Found at http://www.ykwong.com/blackhost.html

WhizHost (http://www.whizhost.com)

The company claims the uptime is 99.999%, that means the server will only be down for less than 6 minutes in a year! I have used this company for almost a year (foolish me paid yearly), I can tell you the uptime is only about 80%
    The support is not 24/7 as the company claims. Basically, you will not get a reply after 12-24 hours.
    The support team (actually I suspect it is not a team at all, maybe it's just a person) will NOT answer any complaints. Only emails asking trivial questions (e.g. CGI-BIN location, SENDMAIL location, etc) will be answered.
    Though it says the fee you paid are fully refundable, you will never get a reply from them if you request a refund.
    Look at the terms of service in this company's website, it says "Use of our services is at the customer's sole risk, we make no warranties. We reserve the right at any time to refuse or cancel service without warning or refund."
    Around Nov 2002, this company has been down for most of the days. So I complained to it. Guess what? I got no reply from them so I keep on complaining. Finally...I found my account was deleted a few days afterwards. Up to this moment, I still havent got any explanation or refund from them!
    Do a quick search with the keyword "WhizHost" in any search engine, you will immediately be surprised by the large number of negative comments about this company.

3) Found at http://www.kornea.com/about.html

January 24, 2002: Transferred hosting from AOL to whizhost.

April 1, 2002: Tranferred hosting from whizhost to certihost. Whizhost stopped offering outgoing mail service, and then refused to refund my money for the time during which I won't be using their service. They told me "so long sucker!" when I complained.

4)Found at http://www.misplacedhate.com/cgi-bin...s.cgi?view=960

WHIZHOST.COM WILL CHEAT YOU

Posted by fyreguy (209.179.214.57) on 2/19/02 at 16:51:57:

Yesterday, my site www.rivetgeek.com was down for over 4 hours due to incompetance at my host server. After repeatedly emailing them to let them know what was wrong, they did nothing.

When it finally came back up, they had deleted the news archives from my site. The site was then immediately destroyed and the domain was deactivated.

I have as of yet to receive a single email from these retards who couldn't find /etc/passwd regarding any of this. I have emailed them, called them (its an unchecked answering machine), and submitted hundreds of support request on their site.

Please take notice, If you are looking for a host, do NOT go to whizhost.com. They will steal your money and never actually support their servers. They went down on a weekly basis.

5) Found at http://www.fakin-it.com/

Since whizhost deleted all of my files without notice, i never got to back anything up. It was hard enough to get all of the websites/flash/other graphics together since my computer is so unorganized. But all my old graphics were deleted in my last format
    So the portfolio is not fully complete but check it out anyways

Member #
    I use Hostony, and I have been pretty happy with them. Here are their packages and prices, they may be a little more expensive than what you were looking for. Their Advanced package only includes 2 hosted domains (you can add one for $4/mo) and 15gb traffic, and it's $142/year as is. For about $200, you can upgrade to 800mb/20gb/5 domains. I would recommend them.

Also, with that many different domains looking for hosts, you could consider buying a resellers package. Those are more expensive, but Hostony's come w/ unlimited domains, so you can sell hosting packages to other ppl to offset the higher costs. Just a suggestion, good luck!

Member #
    Thanks for that info. Hostony looks like a good provider. Professional website and everything. However, there's a lot of reseller providers out there who are around the same ballpark moneywise. Thanks for that information though. I've added them to my bookmarks as I research a little more.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Before I address your issue, let's do some simple math: 10 domains at $100 per year = $10 per year per domain approx. = $0.83 per month per domain.

What does this mean exactly? While you did get jerked around, you pretty well got what you paid for in this instance. For less than a buck a month per domain, you're not likely to find any host that will give you decent service, nor can you reasonably expect them to be around much past their first three months in business. These are the hosts who, on most hosting boards, get absolutely ripped to shreds for their lack of professionalism, too-good-to-be-true pricing, and fly-by-night attitude.

If you're looking to do something long-term, you're going to have to spend more money and more importantly do some very serious research and look not just at price (although price is a factor) but the quality of the service offered, and what other people think of the hosts you're interested in. Try to find an operation that's been around for a while, and isn't going to disappear tomorrow.

Having said all that, I'm going to recommend the company I use for myself and my clients, Sectorlink. The site really needs updating in a major way as far as layout goes, but don't let that fool you. They really do a great job with their service and other than a few minor bumps in the road (which are to be expected considering I've used them for over a year now) and a total of three outages totalling exactly 1 hour, I've had no problems with them whatsoever. I've never had a support ticket that has taken longer than an hour to answer, and one of them was resolved in four minutes. I've never seen another host even come close to this in the four years I've been a web hosting customer.

I have used their multi-domain hosting packages (which can be found here), but I haven't actually gone and put two sites on one account yet. This is something I'm going to be testing in May using a client's four sites, so you may want to wait 3-4 weeks to see how my experience goes if you're interested.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I think you misunderstood my original post. I personally didn't experience the problems with WhizHost. These were posts I had found on the web all over the place from past customers of WhizHost during my research for a new host. I was going to sign up with them, but just found all of those horrid reviews and decided against it. And just for the sake of the record, WhizHost has been around since 1999, so 4 years is pretty good for this line of business and a good bit beyond 3 months. And I agree that it's a great price for the hosting and a very good deal, but obviously this is certainly a case of "you get what you pay for".

Meanwhile, I'll add your suggestion of SectorLink to my bookmarks as I continue to research my possibilities. Thanks for the tip!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    There are other hosts that offer "reseller grade" packages, but any serious ones go for more like $50 - $100 per month.

If you're looking for a good host with good support, you could also check out Interland. They're expensive as hell, but they're about the biggest host in the world, and they provide 24 hour toll free phone support (with next to 0 hold time). If you're looking for an easy solution, they're the way to go.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You didn't just say that. TELL me you didn't just say that.

I have a client who uses Interland. It used to be the #1 NT host around back in 2000 when there were about 3 competitors total. Now it's overpriced and getting more and more expensive because they're buying out smaller companies and screwing them up. And while they do offer toll-freephone support, which they do deserve credit for, I have not experienced anything close to 0 hold time since July of 2001. I've also had the FTP and admin passwords unilaterally changed on the account, the site hacked by someone using Front Page of all things, and I've also never had a support ticket that was solved by a Tier 1 rep.

They usually put me through to a Tier 2 rep, give me a ticket number, and then promptly screw up the transfer, disconnect me and I'd repeat the process, only to be told I'd have to wait 4-6 hours while "we dunno what the dadburn problem is but we goin' solve it ahtayuwut?" (Yes, I've actually heard them say that.) In a few weeks, I'm pulling the site off of the Interland servers and moving it to Sectorlink once and for all.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Interland? I must agree

As far as Interland is concerned, I have to agree. I was on Burlee, which was bought up by Interland just recently and the level of service went down the toilet. That's one of the reasons why I'm switching in the first place. Interland?...Uh, no thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have a client whose site was on Burlee for a couple of years with absolutely no problems until the Interland buyout (which conveniently took place right before the annual spike in his traffic.) They were a good company as an indy (although they did tend to charge for things most hosts would give you for free), but now that Big I has bought them out, they have gone right to pot.

Member #
    Ok. Boiled down to 2.

Ok. Well from the info I've received it appears that for the most part, there are 2 web hosts out there that have really good customer reviews. One is TinyButler.com and also DigitalSense.com. Both offer multiple domain support on one account and also at extremely reasonable pricing. The reveiews from current clients shows both of them to be very good in service and support. Tiny Butler uses both phone and email support, but testing the phone number gave me what sounded like a home answering machine. Either way, it IS phone support. Digital Sense uses a Truoble Ticket method, but from the customer reviews doesn't seem to be an issue since problems get resolved very quickly using this format.

Here's their deals:
    Digital Sense offers 400 megs of storage with 10 gigs of bandwidth, unlimited emails, free setup etc, etc for $9.95 a month, $9.12 if you pay a year in advance. They also have a Live online help desk that pops up if you start looking at their hosting plans where you can ask any questions you may have in a chat room format. Pretty neat actually. You can view more details here: http://www.findmyhosting.com/detail....id=314678&ty=0

Tiny Butler offers 500 megs and 10 gigs of bandwidth for $11 a month (no discounts for full annual payment) and pretty much the same offers as Digital Sense. More details on them can be read at: http://www.findmyhosting.com/listall...id=314678&ty=0

Does anyone have any input about either? I'll probably go with Digital Sense, but just being wary at this point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads