Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

vvp
    Member #
    Hi, I posted this earlier in the Getting Started section as I am not a pro but perhaps it belongs here... thanks for your patience.

I have an existing web site that I am looking at expanding by using subdomains because the content of the expansion is different from the original web site..

My questions:

1.) If my original web site already exists as (mywebsite.com), what do I go about changing to accomodate a new subdomain?

ie: Does my original web site now become (originalsearchterm.mywebsite.com) and then the new expansion (newsearchterm.mywebsite.com)?

2.) Does each and every page of the original web site have to reflect the new subdomain change?

3.) I understand that subdomains should be designed to be self contained web sites so that the spiders won't penalize my rankings. Would creating these subdomains drop my existing web site into Google's sandbox for a while or would it be left alone? As well how would this change affect any link partners I may have?

Thank you for your help.

Member #
    A subdomain is just a sub folder (in your file manager), the difference is that to reference it you do not point your browser to yoursite.com/folder instead you point to folder.yoursite.com

You do not have to create a subdomain for the old website and the new website.

For instance yoursite.com can still have the old website running there while the subdomain has the new, expansion..

Hope this helps.

vvp
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bfsog
    A subdomain is just a sub folder (in your file manager), the difference is that to reference it you do not point your browser to yoursite.com/folder instead you point to folder.yoursite.com

You do not have to create a subdomain for the old website and the new website.

For instance yoursite.com can still have the old website running there while the subdomain has the new, expansion..

Hope this helps.
    Thank you. My biggest fear was that I would have to edit all the pages of my existing site to accommodate a new file structure (and then take a big Google ranking hit). I'm very pleased to hear this is not the case.

Thanks again.

Remove Ads