Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Ok...

I've been with a host company for a long time. 2+ years. Long enough. I've switched to a new host and everything is ready to go. My Domain is held by www.prohosting.com and they have an area in the "members" section for DNS management, where it appears that you can change where things are going. This area has editable areas such as:
    • Name Servers - Its showing a primary and secondary which have both been changed to the NEW hosts DNS settings.
    • Mail - Has MX 69.12.7.4 Preference 0 - Which I have no idea what this is. Do I need to change the #'s?
    • Web - This section has 3 ways of attaching to my website: mcpher.....com, ftp.mcp..., www.mcph..., with Identical IP's next to each address.

My question is, Do I need to update the OTHER areas aside from the DNS name servers?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You should only ever have to update the DNS entries. I'm surprised that you had to update the MX records, even.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I haven't updated them. I left them alone... Is it possible that I need to update them? And if so to what? my new host is www.hostingmatters.com (Who by the way have been terrific so far)

I updated my DNS - Thursday and nothing is changing.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Did you use ns.hmdnsgroup.com and ns2.hmdnsgroup.com?

They should be able to tell you what MX records to use but I have never had to touch my MX records for any of my domains, including when I transferred them to HM.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Yes I changed only the DNS information. Nothing else.

How long to they typically take to transfer?

Member #

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's resolving at this end too.

Not a bad-looking Flash intro. Good start to a site! I like that it's a quick load (and what I'm about to say will make it even quicker), and that it's simple.

Two very minor things:

1) Hosting Matters does offer site statistics as part of their hosting packages. I haven't used them, so I don't know if they're any good, but filburt should be able to tell you. If you use the Hosting Matter stats, you can lose the Extreme DM stats counter at the top of your page (something I've always found cheesy and annoying on sites, especially ones on their own domain names).

2) Metalligreed might object to your use of part of "Enter Sandman" in your intro. I don't mind it: hey, it's a good tune. It's that whole piracy bugaboo thing that they are just so SILLY about these days (whiny little @#$*@(#$)@*$(@)$*@(#)$*@#$(*@$)!!!)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thats the old site.. lol Seems the DNS servers weren't happy with the changeover.. it did last about 4 hours.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ahhhh. Well, DNS changes do take 24-48 hours to propagate across the Internet. I'll check it again at the end of the day to see if there's something new.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Don't be too anxious, there is alot of work to be done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads