Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,

I'm fast outgrowing my current multiple-domain shared hosting package and am therefore looking to upgrade. I'm been checking out the net for VPS and Dedicated solutions.

From what I've seen VPS seems to offer everything that dedicated solutions offer bar the fact that technically the entire hardware isn't yours. Am I missing something?

Any recommendations for VPS / Dedicated hosts (particularly UK based ones) would be much appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can supply.

Member #
    Well,

I'm not sure about any UK based web hosting companies, here are some Top US based web hosting companies,

AIT, Inc.
    1&1

To Search for more Top Web Hosts go here:
    TopHosts

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Depending on your requirements a Dedicated solution would handle growth alot better than a VPS. A VPS is basicly shared hosting, supersized. It appears to be your own server but in fact is split between you and who knows who else. The hardware isnt yours, and if your neighbors hog resources, yours will suffer.

So although it will allow more room to stretch your legs you will probably eventually move to a dedicated solution. Personally I am a fan of CO-Location, where you literially DO own the hardware but are only useing somebody elses backbone.

However i will not reccomend you overgrow your needs if you dont have to. VPS could possiably be the exact fit you are looking for. After all, there is a reason it exists in the first place.

Member #
    Completely agree with you, use what works best or what you can budget for!

Member #
    Cheers guys.

I obviously would prefer Dedicated but there is somewhat of a price gap between that and VPS. I may need dedicated capacity in the future though so I guess the key is to find a company that offers VPS but will be able to transfer my data to a dedicated setup if that time comes.

If anyone has any experience with any dedicated / VPS provider do let me know as I'm finding it hard to work out which companies I can really trust.

Member #
    Hi Mark,

Give me a tinkle and I will set up a test virtual private server for you to try out. Our servers are located at Liquid Web, USA but we provide support via London and Melbourne.

Cheers,

Mark Schiavetta
    mark@ultimahosts.net
    http://ultimahosts.net

Remove Ads