Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Anyone got some reccomendations for a semi-fast host with lots of data and tranfer for real cheap? I wanna host some mp3's (not copyright) and perhaps some videos in the future... However, I'm a poor college student I checked through the hosting reviews but none of them really appealed to me for what I need... I suppose as a minimum I'd ask for 200mb space and 2gb tranfer... although I'd be willing to bend.

Thanks for your help.

Peace
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    For large data files like that you're very unlikely to find a cheap host with tons of bandwidth (at least a reputable host).

Any ideas, people?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah... I"ve been looking for a while. I mean.. I was hoping I could get one with no technologies as I don't really need anything but basic HTTP server... hmm.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    What you can do is find a friend who has a dedicated server that he's not fully using and ask if he can give you an account on it. Other than that there's not much you can do other than run your own server (a violation of most ISP's TOSes).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    <Rant>
    Personally, I hate requests like this because what always seems to end up happening is a too-good-to-be-true host makes a lowball offer and never lives up to expectations: the "hostee" then complains about how said host is a "ripoff", after having walked semi-wide-open into the trap in the first place. I understand why you're asking what you're asking, but it still bugs me.

I don't think you're going to find what you're really after with the specs you have provided. Simple mathematics tells us that 2 GB (2000 MB transfer) x 200 MB of files = on average, files can't be downloaded more than 10 x per month (since 10 x 200 = 2000). If you're (as you appear to be doing) running a straight download site, that's not too likely to happen (especially with MP3 and video content).
    </Rant>

Having said all of that, I'm going to approach filburt's suggestion from two slightly different angles:

Angle 1: get a multi-domain hosting account or resellers' account and share it with a couple of people. They do exist without going to a dedicated server, and are often used to solve problems such as yours.

Click here for an example of such hosting. Sectorlink, by the way, is the company I use for myself and my clients and they are very stable and reliable (semi-fast as well). Mind you, I've never hosted entire MP3s with them so you may want to ask first just to be sure (their TOS isn't 100% clear on this and I've never had a reason to ask). If they will, then get the MultiBronze ($16.99) hosting plan, find 3-4 buddies who will spend $5 a month to have their sites hosted on the same plan, and your hosting is pretty well covered.

The next idea: buy a resellers' package and split it off the same way. I've seen them advertised for Linux servers that seem to go for $20-$25 per month for space and bandwidth that can be carved up however you like, but I don't know any details on it (I don't normally use Linux servers for hosting, and Hosting Matters, the host of this board, doesn't offer one like this.) Maybe someone can continue this thought for me.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Whoa boy, sorry for offending you

Basically, I want to start a website that is basically an online jam session type thing. I'm a member of muscianforums.com and we try and do things like that... but the main problem is people have like tripod/angelfire accounts so 3 people download the drum track and it's over the limit for the day. I wouldn't be tranfering the full load of files every day... the idea is generally somoene downloads ONE file about 1k a month, and maybe 10 other files that month, but I'd like to be able to keep the other files up - thus the extra space.

Thanks for the ideas though.. at least I have a place to start now

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No harm, no foul. It's not a beef with you specifically, just with people who do it in general. We all want to keep our costs down as much as possible, but the other (forgotten) side of the equation is that the hosts have to make money too, and we as customers should try to respect that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

JR
    Member #
    check out www.uzipp.com
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    He wouldn't be able to use uzipp according to the AUP. Over 20% of his site appears to be downloads and he'd have to get clearance to have audio/video hosted on his site from uzipp first. Basically, the 200 MB of diskspace is a front. They're hoping you use at most 5-10.

Remove Ads