Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: colorhost

Member #
    anyone had experience with HostColor? I ran across these guys today while surfing and their 'mini' plan is really cheap. I know, you get what you pay or, but just a shot in the dark, to see if any of yall have heard of, or dealt with them before. thanks, slyder
    http://christopher-scott.org - Ramblings of an amateur web designer
    http://childfreechoice.com - An online community for the positively childfree

Member #
    nope; but 1and1 has really cheap plans, too... they're good unless you want to do Rails

http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=6786017
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    And for Rails, Dreamhost is excellent. And, it would seem, for other things, as well.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by slyder
    anyone had experience with HostColor? I ran across these guys today while surfing and their 'mini' plan is really cheap. I know, you get what you pay or, but just a shot in the dark, to see if any of yall have heard of, or dealt with them before. thanks, slyder
    Yeah, I've used them for a couple years. I think they go by HostColor, ColorHost and NextColor, all three.

The only thing I used it for was to FTP files. My opinion is they are lousy, lousy, lousy. As you will see, I cancelled my account with them because they couldn't solve their problems. But they wouldn't refund the unused part of my subscription. Here, for example, is the transcript of a support ticket (sensitive info was changed to "(deleted)"):

Time: 2007-07-17 17:25:43

Your system is so screwed up.

I use my site for FTP, and want to clear off some files. I'm denied the right to do so from my email client.

When I go to your site https://69.45.6.174:19638/siteadm/index.php, the opening screen says I have 2GB space, but 0 GB used! Not true. I can't load more files, because I'm full up!.

When I click Weeble File Manager I see several old FTP directories that don't show up in my FTP client. I'd like to get rid of those. I click the "directory " radio button, and "delete", but nothing happens.

The more recent FTP directories which do show up in my FTP client do not shop up in Weeble File Manager.

What the hell am I supposed to do. Your tutorials suck. They don't look anything like your site. (You told me months ago that they were going to be changed. Bull ****!)

Maybe you can tell I'm not a happy camper.

Time: 2007-07-17 17:28:05

Hello,

Let me check it out. We will update the ticket with more information.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

P.S. Now you can ask your hosting related questions and find help with your website in our new forums at
    forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-17 18:57:31

Hello,

We have moved your account to a server with our NextColor2 control panel. You can login from here:

https://69.45.6.175:19638/siteadm/
    username: (deleted)
    password: .
    If you don't have the password we can resend you the welcome email.

Please note that all the users were created with that password because we did not have the others. However they can be changed from the control panel.

The website content is accessable through http://69.45.6.175/~srodick.com/

Please write us back if you like what you see so we can change your domain's nameservers and your site will be with the new panel. But first we wanted to make sure everything is ok. Thank you for choosing HostColor

Best Regards,
    Support Team

P.S. Now you can ask your hosting related questions and find help with your website in our new forums at
    forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-18 14:00:54

OK, I prefer the new control panel. But still some problems.

The Weeble File Manager says "We recommend that you use an FTP program to access your files." However, I cannot delete files and directories from my FTP client.

I then went into Weeble and deleted one-by-one the files I wanted to delete, then the directories I wanted to delete. Even so, some files could not be deleted ("Permission Denied").

Even though the files appear to be deleted in Weeble, they still show up in my FTP client.

What gives? How can I delete files and directories. Why cannot I do so from my FTP client?
    Time: 2007-07-18 14:03:12

Hello,

Could you tell us where are those undeletable files located so we can check the permissions. Meanwhile I will check your account files. Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-18 14:06:31

Hello,

I just found the problem. I will recreate your account on the new server and update the ticket once everything is back to normal.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-18 14:19:01

Hello,

If you connect to the new server's ftp via the ip of the server: 69.45.6.175 you can edit the files without any problem. Please confirm that there are no problems with the new server(new cp) so we can change your domain's nameservers. Thank you for using our services.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-19 13:02:58

Still have problems.

Yesterday, before you recreated my account, I had deleted (I thought) files and directories using Weeble. In fact, those files and directories do not show up in Weeble even today. However when I go to my FTP client, those files and directories are still there! I am unable to delete them from the FTP client - "Permission Denied". I can't delete them with Weeble, as they do not show up any longer.
    Time: 2007-07-19 13:10:40

Hello,

Please use the IP of the server: 69.45.6.175 for FTP connection for the next few hours as we are waiting for the DNS changes to propagate so that your account is moved to the new server with the better control panel. One the new server you won't experience such troubles. Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-19 13:27:42

I tried this earlier, as well as just now, and it doesn't load. I get "http://www.hostcolor.com/notavailable.php"
    Time: 2007-07-19 13:30:02

Hello,

Please allow a few more hours for the DNS changes to propagate and the website will fully function from the new server.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-20 11:26:47

It's been another whole day, and 69.45.6.175 still doesn't load.
    Time: 2007-07-20 11:35:44

Hello,

Try the normal settings ->
    address: (deleted)
    user: (deleted)@(deleted).com
    pass:

After you try please give us a feedback info.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-20 14:30:45

You don't understand:

69.45.6.175 doesn't even get me to a logon screen. It leads to this url: http://www.hostcolor.com/notavailable.php

If I go to https://69.45.6.175:19638/siteadm/general as previously instructed I get a logon screen, but nothing has changed. The files I had "deleted" do not show up. But in my FTP client they do show up.
    Time: 2007-07-20 14:48:02

Hello,

Of course that 69.45.6.175 does not lead to your logon screen. This it the IP of the server you are hosted on. Where have you deleted these files from ?

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-20 15:09:21

What the hell is a guy supposed to do?

Look a few blocks back where Yordan said to "Please use the IP of the server: 69.45.6.175 for FTP connection". Also, "If you connect to the new server's ftp via the ip of the server: 69.45.6.175 you can edit the files without any problem." Now you say "of course" that won't work! WTF?

I deleted the files from Weeble File Manager at (deleted)
    I had deleted files from the adm, bentonville, columbia, and ottawa folders. And as I've said several times before, those files do not show up there (Weeble) as expected. But when I go to a third-party FTP client they are all there.

And why can't I delete them using the FTP client?
    Time: 2007-07-20 15:39:05

Hello,

We have your password and we will check that. We needed to clear the questions first. Sorry about that. We will write you as soon as we have some information for you.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-20 16:16:58

Hello,

Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try to log in with these details to log into your ftp client:
    hostdeleted)
    user(deleted)@(deleted)
    password: ****

If the problem persists, please fell free to contact us again.

Best Regards,
    Support Team

forum.hostcolor.com.

Time: 2007-07-20 16:35:06

Forget it.

I've signed up with a new web hosting company and am in process of transferring my domain to them.

How do I get credit for the unused months left on my account?

Remove Ads