Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello I'm New To Posting My Websites Online I Want To Use A Free Web Host Because I can't Commit To Paying Monthly. If You Are Intrested In Helping I'll Show You Some Screenshots Of My Sites And Explain A Little About Them.

Member #
    Oh BTW I Make Sites For Gamers And Fansites I'm Going To Need A Large Amount Of Bandwith

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There's no such thing as a good free host...although now that I host a development server at home, I can certainly say having your own free (well, no monthly payment) server is good. Unfortunately, it's against most ISPs' terms of service, plus the barrier of an upload cap, which is why I don't use it for anything production-related.

If you don't like paying for things monthly, and neither do I, find a service where you can pay annually. I pay the hosting fee of $163 only once a year rather than about 1/12th that per month (it's actually more expensive to pay per month).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    When you can get hosts for $3 or $4 a month pretty much everywhere, it doesn't make sense to go with free hosting.
    Filburt is right, there is no such thing as a good free host. You will be limited on bandwidth, be filled with banner support ads and subject to many restrictions.

To be honest, I don't know of any free hosts. 1and1.com is decent and is only $2.24 a month.

You really will get what you pay for and with free hosting, you will get a lot of restrictions.
    Good luck with your search though.........
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    On a mostly unrelated note, Capitalization Rules In English Only Require You To Capitalize Proper Nouns And The First Word In A Sentence ;-)

Member #
    He didn't capitalize the word: can't !
    GMan

Member #
    www.awardspace.com i found was quite good, quite large bandwidth etc etc no forced ads if you couple that with www.co.nr free domain name (.co.nr obviously) then you can quite easily make a website work for free and it still look quite good, i much prefer having a real domain now though, which reminds me...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by solidgold
    www.awardspace.com i found was quite good, quite large bandwidth etc etc no forced ads if you couple that with www.co.nr free domain name (.co.nr obviously) then you can quite easily make a website work for free and it still look quite good, i much prefer having a real domain now though, which reminds me...
    Well, .co.nr isn't a good option, because they actually make a simple web redirection to your URL, they're not offering a free subdomain... and that sucks
    Search engines won't remember your web as something.co.nr, they'll always show your real URL.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Niilo
    Well, .co.nr isn't a good option, because they actually make a simple web redirection to your URL, they're not offering a free subdomain... and that sucks
    Search engines won't remember your web as something.co.nr, they'll always show your real URL.
    For a non-serious website owner it is a better bet than something like piczo but i see what you mean about the free subdomain, .co.nr is better than most url redirects, mainly because it doesnt have adverts, i seem to remember that there is an url cloaking feature too, im much happier now i have .co.uk, it has to be said!

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've been using 99phost.co.uk (now freevirtualservers.com). It's not too bad since I think it's still 11 a year for a basic account with them.

During the changeover there have been some benefits and drawbacks though. On the bright side, I've got 50MB extra space and an extra 250MB bandwidth (for free, being an existing customer), but I can now only create 5 MySQL databases and have limits elsewhere. I used to be able to create 99 databases (a bit over the top really) and have more email accounts etc. It runs PHP 4.4.0 (I think that's right) with SuExec and register_globals has finally been turned off!

Anyway, I wouldn't advise a free host. You won't get what you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads