Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I know the name of the site I want to create is not taken by anyone yet, so I was wondering how I could go about registering that name?
    Also what would be the best way? I would rather not pay some company for something if I could do it my self.

Member #
    You have to go through a domain registrar.

Most hosting companies can register domains, and the only charge you would be invoiced for is the price of the domain.

Make sure that when you are registering the domain, from whichever host, that they say you can transfer the domain to another host.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I recommend Namecheap: http://www.namecheap.com/ . Good interface, good prices, and they don't try to push a ton of worthless crap on you like GoDaddy.

In any case, you'll have to pay, unless the domain comes free with the (paid) hosting, meaning you'll still absorb the cost of the domain.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I recommend that you register your domain name with one provider and have your site hosted by someone else.

If your registrar and host are the same and you have a conflict, they could hold your domain name hostage. Keeping them separate gives you more options.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    personally, my stuff is through directnic.com. great company, and they know what they're doing. They are in the heart of new orleans, and never went down throughout the hurricane down there, smart people
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thanks for all the info guys, just a few questions left.
    Why do I have to go threw a company to register it, cant a individual do it on thier own?
    Geebee what do you mean if theres a conflict they could hold my domain name hostage?
    Wouldent that be illegal?
    So if I register the domain threw a company, its mine then right? they have no legal claim to it right?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You need to be ICANN certified (or something like that) to offer domain names for sale. I assume that means it costs a lot of money, and the costs get recouped slowly by offering domain sale services to clients to eventually make a profit. It actually would be a good investment, but it probably costs a lot to start and the market is way too competitive (I mean, people are shopping around to save cents per year).

The domain registrar company is merely providing a service. You legally own the domain.

(through, not "threw")
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    I noticed on www.namescheap.com it says that the cost is "8.88 a year", I was wondering does that mean I need to register every year?
    I was going threw thier disclaimer, it says that If I am late re-registering the domain that I will have to pay 200 to get it back, this seems a little lame.
    Makes it seems like they own the domain and I am just renting it from them, and as long as the rent is on time I get to keep the place.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    That site is ripping you off.

EVERYONE pays a yearly fee for their domain. what normally happens if you don't re-up is that it goes back into the public domain for anyone to grab.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    the price of register a domain is around USD 6 to 10 per domain per year. You can find it easily when you search in google for "domain name registrar" , the most important thing is the support they provide and must verifed by ICANN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads