Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This is my first post on these forums.

I have set up 2 web sites for artists where I have the domain name redirected to free web space that each person has with Comcast.

My question is: if the domain name jane_artist.com is redirected to http://home.comcast.net /~comcast_user/index.htm will search engine crawlers and spiders find the content and index it?

If a person wants a low traffic domain name site but doesn't need email with that domain name are there any downsides to a redirected url?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Google is often smart about it, but you'll likely get a much lower rating for doing it. It also might have varying degrees of success depending on the redirect: Javascript it probably won't detect, but it should see simple meta refreshes and HTTP header redirects (the easiest).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    The redirect is from the domain name registrar, not from meta refreshes, http headers, or java script.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It will have to be one of the above, though; a registrar can't redirect to an arbitrary URL by itself or through name servers.

Member #
    Just so i understand how this works...

When registerfly.com has a url redirect for a given domain name, do they actually create an jane_artist.com/index.htm page and on that page has a redirect method?

Reading a bit more on registerfly.com, it says they use frames so that the domain name url appears in the address bar, but that the page is actually the page from the other web space.

So this frame method of redirection would limit google's web crawlers.

Is it fair to say you get what you pay for. If you want the cheapest web site with its own domain name then you give up search engine rankings. If you want to pay $5 to $10 per month for hosting then you'll have a better chance of search engines finding your site.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    That is likely it, albeit probably simplified. It could be that any request to the domain gets served by a single page, and that page redirects.

Remove Ads