Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been looking into consolidating all my domains under one company (they've been handled by the hosting companies before), but am having quite some trouble deciding which one to use. Obviously, a lot of the information on the Web cannot be trusted (try googling for "domain name registrar review" and you get more than a few advertisements).

GoDaddy seems to be the biggest but has a bad interface and bad support.

Since filburt1 suggested http://www.namescheap.com and I heard good things about them I was thinking I'd use them, but the agreement says that:

In the event of a charge back by a credit card company (or similar action by another payment provider allowed by us) in connection with the payments of the registration fee for your domain name registration, you agree and acknowledge that the domain name registration shall be transferred to Namecheap as the paying entity for that registration to the registry. We will reinstate your domain name registration solely at our discretion, and subject to our receipt of the initial registration or renewal fee and our then-current reinstatement fee, currently set at US$200. For more information, please click here. You will be notified via an email message or via your account information when renewal fees are due. Should these fees go unpaid within the time specified in a second notice or reminder regarding renewal, your registration will be cancelled. Payment must be made by credit card or such other method as we may indicate in the registration application or renewal form. We will not automatically renew your name unless you instruct us otherwise within the time specified and provide us with your payment information. As a courtesy, we will try to inform you of the domain expiration and you are responsible for renewing your domain before it expires. We might be able to recover your expired domain for a fees within a certain period after expiry. We will reinstate your rights to and control over these Services solely at our discretion, and subject to our receipt of the unpaid fee(s) and our then-current reinstatement fee, currently set at US $200. Reinstatement of Service(s) by your Primary Service Provider may be according to their terms.
    Wired recommended http://www.directnic.com/, but they seem to have a similar policy in place:

If you wish to keep any of your domain names that have expired and have been placed in a Redemption Grace Period, you must file a redemption claim. In order to process the Redemption Grace Period claim during the first 30 days of the Redemption Grace Period, you must send us your directNIC username, the domain name in question, and a check or money order for $185 made payable to Intercosmos Media Group, Inc. to the address below. Credit card payment will not be accepted for Redemption Grace Period domains and all checks will have a 10 day hold.
    Billing Department
    Intercosmos Media Group, Inc.
    650 Poydras Street, Suite 1150
    New Orleans, Louisiana 70130
    USA
    (from http://www.directnic.com/legal/)

My question is, has this ever happenend to anyone? Should I be concerned??

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    didn't know they had such a high reinstatement fee, but I look at it as similar to a bounced check fee. I sure as hell don't intend to do either, so I'm not worrying about it. Just re-upped 5 of my domain names last night w/ DN coincidentally.

Also, the MSKB link in your sig no longer works.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads