Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been using OS X for a while now, and love it, but I have discovered something really nasty.

In *Nix systerms, like OS X, files that begin with a period (.) are considered hidden, and so OS X's Finder, as well as program "Open" dialogs, *do not show the .htaccess file*.

Is there any way, short of using Terminal (the command line), to view these files? Playing around it Finder's Preferences did not seem to help.

I know a lot of web designers use Apple. Can anyone help me out?
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    Will this help?
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    You're the man. Thanks
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    :thumbsup: Glad to help! :thumbsup:
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    More regularly for a UNIX system, running [minicode]ls -a[/minicode] will display all files, including hidden ones. Also, typing something like [minicode]vim .filename[/minicode] will open the file, even if it doesn't show up in the regular listing. It's entirely possible that the open dialog may allow you to just type the filename, though I have this sneaking suspicion that the OS X dialog is retarded and doesn't, in the tradition of Apple dumbing some things down a little too much. I can't recall, though, as I don't touch OS X too often.

Remove Ads