Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is this possible, i see loads of domains that i would really like to use for the forums i will be making soon, but they are all used up by people who never use them. Is there anyway to buy domains off people who own them and don't want them

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I had someone approach one of my clients and ask him if he was using the domain (which he wasn't) and what he wanted to sell it for (which was insane). You may be able to find someone a little more reasonable just by getting the email address of the owner of the domain from the WHOIS info.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

JR
    Member #
    i have a question relating to this - how do i buy a domain which is soon to expire and i am pretty sure it won't be renewed (as it is not being used) ?
    JR

Member #
    Some registrars offer a "backorder" feature (network solutions, for one), where they monitor the domain "every second of every day", and if they see that the domain is available, they'll register it for you. Of course, there is a fee for the monitoring, and for the registration. To save yourself some money, monitor it yourself: find out when the domain expires by doing a whois search on it, and as that date approaches, check the whois record and see if it's been renewed. If it hasn't by that date, then register it.

Some people though (I think on these boards) have mentioned that domains are not available for public registration the day that their registration is up. Does anyone know more about this?

JR
    Member #
    cheers spluf
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's usually a 45-day grace period after the domain expires to allow someone who may have forgotten to do it or never gotten the emails to renew it the opportunity to correct the mistake and renew it. However, when you renew it, you only get it from the date of expiry on regardless so it doesn't make any sense either way to let it go.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Not all registrars honor the grace period. RegisterFly for example. I had an inactive domain expired in march, the should have been able to let me renew it in april but they flat out told me NO, that the domain is now being held by the registery.

I have it on backorder via GoDaddy.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    I know of grace periods and it depends on the registrar how they will work with you.

About 'snaring' a domain that is due to expire- monitoring until it is ready to be re-released my have a frustrating end to it: many 'domain buyers' have software that immediately registers the domain and may do so with several registrars at once- just to be sure they get it.

Basically, some companies horde as well...if the name appears saleable.

In Canada,there is a different method for their .ca domains. For example, I had my eye on one domain- it's due date came up and it wasn't renewed. I contacted CIRA and asked the procedure for trying to gain the domain name. I was told that there is a waiting period, then it goes into a pool, then a batch of domains are released to the public for re-registering.

If I wanted the domain, I could put in a register request, pay the fee with my registrar, and wait and see if I had submitted the request first and it would be mine.

That's what I did. Here's an excerpt of my request update:
    This is a To-be-released domain. The domain has expired on
    > 2002/12/01
    > > and it will be under suspension for 30 days first. At the time it
    > > gets released, our system will automatically try to register that
    > name for you.

When the list was released to the public, my request was successful. I'm really proud of that one...it took six weeks or so to land it!

(just to mention- my registrar would have returned my funds if the request was unsuccessful...I don't know if ALL do.)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I had a client who got a 3-letter domain via snap-back order. He was pleased

Remove Ads