Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

It's cheaper to register a .com than .com.au <insert decent smilie>

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Originally posted by Jethro
    It's cheaper to register a .com than .com.au <insert decent smilie>
    :devious:
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Now that l have Furby on side <insert decent lol smilie>

Anyone got any idea about the name thing. Seems feaking weird to me. It's also cheaper to register a .us as well:cross-eye

Once again aussies are being ripped off downunder, and they wonder why people are putting sites up in the US and Europe...

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I'm guessing just because there are tons of TLD registrars that prices must be low to keep up competition.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    It's all due to the companies that control the registry databases for the domain names and their charges.

We're lucky in the UK that Nominet - the UK domain registry keeper - is a non-profit-making organisation. This means they charge domain registering companies such as UKReg.com and 123-reg.co.uk just £5 for two years registration of a .co.uk; .org.uk and .me.uk domain name.

In the US the original operator Network Solutions was run commercially trying to make as much money as possible from .com sales. Things changed and they were forced to de-monopolise the registry meaning other companies came onto the scene and prices immediately dropped to prices just above UK pricing.

In Australia all I can assume is that the registry company is charging a lot more than Nominet and making as much profit as possible from it. This does have it's advantages sometimes, response times to DNS requests should be quicker for example, but in this day and age surely prices should be much lower.

Maybe they'll fall ... Maybe not!
    Thanks,

Andrew Cranson
    Transnexis Group

Member #
    Itís because ICANN, if I may say so, is a despotic and opaque organization that makes decisions based on corporate interests rather than technical ability. ICANN.blog is a good source for the latest information and goings on concerning ICANN.

Remove Ads