Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok, as my name inplys im new at this and have some questions that I have posted at many sites for feedback. I decided to go along with your recomendations to just get hosting instead of creating a server myself. My current webpage is a free webpage hosted by yahoo/geocities and so I was debating on just upgrading with them. Here are some of the things they offer.
    Price: $11.95 but $8.96*
    (for first 2 mos.)
    Setup fee: was $25 now WAIVED
    Disk space: 5,000 MB
    Data transfer: 200 GB
    Email address: 200
    with 24/7 customer support over phone. Now I was wondering if anyone has used their hosting before and would be able to give me some feedback on their hosting. Also, I would like to know if there are better (good feedback) sites for hosting. My webpage is going to contain simple html files with news and links to my flash. I also need to be able to have access to IP and Port numbers for my hosting so I can make my multi-user flash files have a place to connect. (Chatroom, games, etc.)

Member #
    I'm not a big fan of Yahoo hosting. I think they are a decent value, but anytime a company has a "set up fee" (waived or not), it just irritates me.

The upside for you is that you are currently hosting on geocities, so the interface won't be that much different.
    I would call them and ask them all of these questions. This does two things:
    1) You get answers from a live person and don't wait for days for email
    2) You can test drive what their tech support is really like

I steer a lot of my smaller customers towards godaddy.com. Not because they are the best overall, there are better out there.
    But, they do have an excellent customer service department and they are inexpensive.
    For the same plan you listed above, you would pay $3.95 per month. They offer 500 emails, 50 forwards, 10 sql datbases, blogging software and other stuff beyond that as well.

Of course, don't base everything on just price alone. Shop around and see what fits your needs the best.

Good luck......
    GMan

Remove Ads