Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I just got apache and I am wondering how I could get it acessible from the web. And if it is possible to do the following:
    1. Use a .co.nr or .cjb.net subdomain so I don't have to move my domain as my registrar take months to do anything with my real domain and I want at to stay pointing at my online site.
    2. Do it for free. (Even if there is ads on it, i'll be the only person looking at it until I figure it out)

Member #
    Security can be a problem if your just running this off a home computer. Also, bandwidth from your ISP can make things a bit slow. But, anyway.

If you are connecting through a router, try logging into the control panel. There should be an option for vitual servers. I'm on a Belkin router by the way. In here you should be able to create a new server. The ports should be set to port 80 with the protocol of TCP. The server IP Address should be the local IP of your computer. To find this, go to the command prompt on your windows computer (I assume you are on windows), and type ipconfig. You are looking for an IP Address (eg. mine was 192.168.2.3). Save the virtual server. You may need to disable a firewall on your computer. Then, go to ipchicken.com and copy the IP address that has been given. Use a proxy or a friend to go on that IP just to see if everything is working; you won't be able to test this on your own computer or internet connection without a proxy.

Finally, simply forward your co.nr to your IP and people should be able to access your server. But I strongly suggest you don't do this on an internet connection with limited bandwidth or slow speed as it will really lag. Also it will be so unsecure if everything is left to default.

Member #
    I was trying to do this, I could have but it soon became apparent that it is far far better to purchase a host. The problem is that for people to use your website they need to download the page. This means your upload need speed needs to be good. Mine is like 128Kbs, this means that as soon as more than 10 people are viewing my site at once it starts getting slow.

It is for this reason that more often than not paid hosting is better than anything you can do yourself.

Member #
    It is more complicated as my ISP has given me a box (a router (only 1 out though), firewall and satelite signal decrypter all in one) which I can't access the settings of. This blocks a lot of ports including incoming to 80 as what everyone else sees for my IP is 84.xx.xx.x (the box's IP) and I see 192.x.x.x (my pc's IP) but you cannot access my computer without going through the box which blocks the port.

Remove Ads