Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Upgrading a hosting package is pretty much a normal feature of hosting these days.

If you have a look around, the hosting market generally offers different "plans" with different resource levels. If you start on a lower then most hosts I know of would be more than happy to upgrade your account - assuming you can pay for it, of course!

The worst part would be a server move - but the common hosting control panel - CPanel - has a features that will allow the transfer of files from one server to a new one - assuming CPanel is also installed on the new server.

Beut, generally, you should have back-ups of all of your work - not least databases - so moving across servers isn't actually too hard (I just did that with two forums - new domains and new servers).

Feel free to come back with any issues and I'll see if I can help.

Member #
    Originally posted by I, Brian
    Upgrading a hosting package is pretty much a normal feature of hosting these days.

If you have a look around, the hosting market generally offers different "plans" with different resource levels. If you start on a lower then most hosts I know of would be more than happy to upgrade your account - assuming you can pay for it, of course!

The worst part would be a server move - but the common hosting control panel - CPanel - has a features that will allow the transfer of files from one server to a new one - assuming CPanel is also installed on the new server.

Beut, generally, you should have back-ups of all of your work - not least databases - so moving across servers isn't actually too hard (I just did that with two forums - new domains and new servers).

Feel free to come back with any issues and I'll see if I can help.
    i know that most hosts will be happy to upgrade me, but it comes to when i need to go to a new server or go to a dedicated server when things really start to grow, i plan to have a PHP/MySQL powered site, along with a vBulletin forum, where the forum database is used to control the members for the site as well, and allow for staff on the forum to post on the site, so when things do start to grow, it could grow bandwidth wise pretty quickly, and i'm all too aware of the problems of moving servers, every single time i have had them moved, my data was either corrupt, didn't move properly, had other errors, or the host just couldn't be arsed to do it for me, i've never had a succesful server move, so i am kinda wary about those circumstances

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Try to go with a host who uses CPanel control panel. Their account copy feature is pretty good. So that if you want to move from one server to other, all your host has to do is fill in three fields on the destination server and click copy. It will copy everything over, including domain name's zone file, apache domain logs, mysql databases, your home directory, and will re setup everything including email/ftp accounts and your domain's dns.

Advantage in that is that CPanel servers use identical directory structure for user directories, so usually you don't need change paths, and if you do, it is relatively easy.
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    any examples of good hosts i can use which have good support and use CPanel, also can you show me where i can find the prices for the hosting, i'd like to find something rather cheap to start off with, but with good support, i don't want any dodgy deals like my last few times

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I provide hosting services myself and I also work for a webhost. But I won't post URLs because that would be a form of advertisement. PM me if you are interested.

Filburt's host is also using CPanel. Was it hostingmatters.com ?
    There and Back Again :Ogre:

Member #
    In my original post I linked to Hostony's pricing page, and here are the prices for Hosting Matters. Hostony uses CPanel, not sure about Hosting Matters.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    HM uses CPanel (6, currently).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    jesus, has hosting gone up in price since i last bought it or something, before i could get around 15GB bandwidth for around $90 per year, and now it's a lot more expensive then what i've been offered

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Either I got a GREAT deal, or those higher bandwidth packages are a little expensive. One company offered me 500 mb / "unlimited" bandwidth (really about 100 GB) / month for a client's website for less than the P4000. Then again, I sorta know the guy, so it could be a personal discount, not sure. It's a reputable company though.

Note to the curious, I will not give out his site name. Just commenting on the price difference. PMs on this topic will also be ignored.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well... remember that generally as bandwidth goes up and price goes down... so does tranfer speed. There are tons of sites out there offering "unlimited" bandwidth - but your clients are downloading at 5k/s... This site (Hosting matters) generally has a very fast tranfer speed... I download all the pages instantly.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads