Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to designing my own web so I'll have lots of questions for you.
    My problem right now is that my webdesign is pretty much done, but I'm still pretty green at knowing all the lingo and using things like FTP's to upload, etc.
    I have my website uploaded right now to webspace on my ISP but wanted to buy some webhosting and change the name of my site to the new domain name that I purchased.
    When I bought some hosting from someone who was recommended to me, I paid her and she sent me my settings but I didn't know what to do with it? When I asked for some technical support I was told that she did her job and that if I wasn't happy she would refund my money.
    All I wanted was a little support to help get me connect to her hosting site. Was I expecting too much? I wasn't asking for any design help. Just wanted a few instructions as to how and where to enter the settings she sent me. I admit that I am very green at this and apologized for my lack of knowledge. Basically she sent my money back and told me to stop complaining.
    Do all web hosting sites expect you to know how to upload to their site on your own? Or are there companies out there that will offer a bit more one-on-one help just to get started?
    Thanks for your help here. Just curious to know what the standard of service is for this type of thing before I bother to pay someone again.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    What type of information did she give you?

Generally speaking, yes, they do expect you to know how to set up your creation on their site. They may or may not have a help site detailing this information.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Her site claims to offer support by phone, email or forum. I tried asking on the forum and by email, but was basically snubbed off.

The information I got was:
    Domain name: ******
    IP: *******
    HasCgi: y
    Username: *****
    Password: *****
    Nameserver1: *****
    Nameserver2: ******

She said that's all she needed to do for me and that she had done her job. I explained very nicely that I was new to all of this and asked for a little extra help. Instead of replying, she just sent me my money back through PayPal. I was hoping to just resolve the problem. I never asked for my money back from her.

I suppose I was just too much for her to be bothered with. Oh well. No big deal.

I'm glad I found this forum, though. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for everyone. Hope you won't mind. At least then I'll be a little better prepared the next time I go to do something. lol

Remove Ads