Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I recently upgraded to a dedicated server.

How can I access my Linux root directly?

Is there a software I can run on Windows to access the server similarly to Windows RDC?

How do I install or upgrade stuff?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Those are pretty abstract questions.

The closest equivalent to RDP is VNC, which requires an X environment. Many hosts don't install such an environment by default because it's unnecessary for a web server. 99% of the time you'll be in the often-easier-to-use console via SSH.

You can switch to root by typing [typethis]su[/typethis] in SSH, but as you probably know, be extremely careful running things as root, and don't be root unless you absolutely need to be. A slightly safer method is [typethis]sudo command[/typethis] which will execute the provided command as root (by default).

Installing and upgrading software is completely dependent on the software and the particular distribution of Linux.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Filb,

I think I didn't get my question across correctly. What software would I run from my local machine to administer the linux server? Do I just do it from command prompt? I know squat about *nix.

Steve

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    TightVNC (you only need the client)
    Putty for SSH
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, most servers won't provide you any sort of graphical access. Some won't even provide you with SSH access (gasp!).

Anyway, if you have SSH access, you should be set, as you can achieve everything you need to from the shell. But, you do need to know your way around a Linux shell (skill which can be learned, of course :-)). PuTTY is definitely the way to go for SSH.

An alternative (if you're using dedicated hosting and you have the flexibility to install your own programs) to VNC is NoMachine's NX (or, more specifically, the FreeNX implementation of it). You can use NoMachine's NX client to access it on your computer if you've got the server running on the other end. It's pretty awesome, way faster than either VNC or the raw X protocol (which is ungodly slow), and kinda rocks my world :-)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You guys are speaking Greek to me. How do I access my server to install these solutions on it?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you have to ask that, it's probably best not to do it for now. Especially since you almost certainly don't have X support on your server. So just don't sweat it.

For SSH, you shouldn't have to install anything, though you may have to ask the hosting provider to enable shell access. Other than that, everything you need is client-side (namely, PuTTY).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    You guys are speaking Greek to me. How do I access my server to install these solutions on it?
    You might want to see if whoever you bought your linux server from has put webmin, or some other web console control panel application on your server. You can usually control quite a bit of the server through them and they will give you a visual clue (possibly help file links) as to what various services do.

Other than that, you would have to ssh into the box and learn command line things. There are many things to learn about going that route.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, by the way, if you want me to speak actual Greek to you, I can do that :-D

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmundi
    You might want to see if whoever you bought your linux server from has put webmin, or some other web console control panel application on your server. You can usually control quite a bit of the server through them and they will give you a visual clue (possibly help file links) as to what various services do.

Other than that, you would have to ssh into the box and learn command line things. There are many things to learn about going that route.
    My server has WHM, which does most of what I want to do. I mostly want to access the root to learn Linux :-D and maybe install Java and some Apache extensions.

Remove Ads