Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Secure Site

Member #
    I know quite a bit about XHTML and CSS but I'm just now getting into creating forms and submitting them on a secure site. I'm interested in learning how to make my server more secure for online submission of forms. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Member #
    You'll need to jump into the deep end of a server-side language, like PHP. Most security problems have to do with how an application is built and how it's defenses are made. Since forums are usually pre-made (often by an extensive developer team and community), this usually isn't a problem as long as you stay up to date and informed.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As Steax says, you'll need to learn a server-side language. PHP may be your best bet because of the sheer wealth of tutorials available, as well as a very helpful manual and a good community around it.

It would be worth reading up on PHP, or ASP.NET, or the language that you find most attractive. Use tutorials and improvise within them so you can learn at the same time.

For forms, you will need to look into data validation - making sure the right information is entered into the right field. You'll also need to know about making sure inputted data is safe and cannot harm your site - data verification. Finally, and somewhat less crucially, you need to make sure your form cannot be exploited by bots. The latter shouldn't be a priority unless you run a fairly large and popular site.

Remove Ads