Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I operate a Web Hosting service, and I'm interested in finding out what people really want in a web host. Post your suggestions here.

Cheers,
    Leigh McCulloch

Member #
    On the top of the list must be support. A lot of people don't care for somewhat higher prices, if you have awesome support (and can prove it somehow). My second priority is the server. I want secure and fast servers. In fact, I think bandwidth and space isn't too much of a problem.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Yea, I want someone to answer my e-mail, and support tickets, or even IM's if you offer it. My first host was excellent for support for the first 6 months or so, and started to decline after that, so that by month 9, support was practically nonexistant.

Space and bandwidth isn't that big of a deal, most hosts now offer so much that most people would never use it all.

In addition to fast and secure servers, they should be extrememly reliable.

Personally, I want a good Windows host, that is relatively inexpensive.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Thanks chris and Steax. I agree with your statements about support and good servers being important. I am yet to find a way to prove to clients how good the support is. Fast servers and good network connectivity can be proven via large downloads clients can test, but support is harder to prove.

I think you guys are right about space and bandwidth being unimportant as long as its substantially large.

Do you have any suggestions for how I could prove my support? I provide 24/7/365 support for my clients, and usually reply within 20 minutes and I have a 1 hour response guarantee. But I'm not sure how to prove it?

Member #
    You could provide a consultation service. So people can fill in forms asking what package they need, and you can respond to those questions. Of course you might get spam and stuff, but that's just a risk. If you can return good and helpful tips, there's a good chance they'll take you.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    My list, in mostly order of importance:
    • Support; emergency (yet free) support by phone would be an incredible value
    • Fast servers that are not overloaded with too many sites for other clients (i.e., only a few sites per server)
    • Run the latest software that I would need (PHP 5.2, PostgreSQL 8.2, Apache 2.2, etc., and not ancient PHP 4, PostgreSQL 7.4 or no PostgreSQL at all, Apache 1.3, etc.)
    • Price

Yes, price is near the bottom of the list because I don't compromise on any of the above.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I think that a way to prove that you have good support is by having an open FAQ page that everyone could see. The FAQ should be detailed, and to really impress, have step-by-step instructions with up-to-date screenshots.

here what I think you should consider, from most important, to least.
    1. Detail Support
    2. very few crashes
    3. sever must be up-to-date
    4. support for many languages (PHP, RoR, ASP.NET, Perl, etc)
    5. easy to setup
    6. least limitations as possible (such as not allow to use certain web software)
    7. good balence between price, and features

Member #
    One more thing - my current host is so annoying because they've created some super-advanced custom control panel. It would be fine, but this means I need to ask for every little question. Try using a common CP, or at least provide it as an alternative.

Member #
    my host is the opposite, they designed there own one but it is far too simple and looks bad and seriously needs redesigning.

Member #
    That can be a difficult decision, whether to provide a complicated advanced control panel, or a simple control panel. I think a wise decision is to provide an interface that provides all the simples controls at first grasp. And make advanced controls available as well, but not as the primary first controls that are available. So say put all the simple controls at the top of the page, then advanced controls underneath that.

Another good thing is to place tooltip like help. So help thats built into the page, but isn't viewable unless the user clicks a button or alike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads