Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Hi.
    Although I am getting there (slowly) with my actual web design, it's all been done so far on a "practise" section of a friend's server that he gave me.
    So the addresses of all my pages are in the format "something.net/something/something/something/something/index.php"

I have finished a client's website (my first one) and wish to put it on line - he has bought his domain name i.e. "client.com" and I have his log in details to access his control panel at the company he bought his domain from.

I have to point his name towards an actual IP address as far as I can figure out - correct?
    Only thing is my space on my friend's server does not actually have it's own IP address. Although the front page of his server space does, but obviously this is not the page we want to point to.

This means that I have to rent out my own server space - one of the packages where you can have sub domains, right - for web developers? And those sub domains will have allocated IP addresses? I am doing sites for a couple more people so would like to host these in the same way eventually.

Am I on the right lines? Or is there a way of allocating an IP address to certain folders within my friend's server?

As you can tell I'm a complete newb to this. Any advice appreciated.

Member #
    All of my clients have their own individual hosting packages, with domains registered elsewhere. I recommend 1&1.com for hosting, and either Spry, or Namecheap for domains.
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    i'm with 1 and 1 (reseller) and my company hage a root server with them. they aren't that bad but don't ever expect good support from them. really really poor. hover i can't really offer any other companys to check out that are better, just giving you a heads up

Member #
    Recently 1and1 support has been getting better. Last year it took about a 7 days to get a reply via e-mail. A month or so ago my issue was being tacked within 1 working day.

I use 1and1, packed full or features, has a good FAQ section and is really easy to use.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Ah ok thanks chaps - in the end I went with a company called 5quidhost which a friend recommended. Kind of took the plunge with that one. I am only on a trial pack thing at the moment but everything seems good with them. Servers seem fast and so on.
    I had a few problems to begin with (my fault) and they spent all day yesterday shooting emails back and forth with me which I thought was impressive customer support, and I haven't paid them anything yet (free trial package). Let's hope it stays that way once I upgrade the package.
    This by the way sorts out my original question - the server I was on (part of a friends) before was not a reseller type account. My one is which means I can have different domains on it, so sorted (same IP address and then redirected - I never knew that).

I am still confused as to whether to get clients to organise their own hosting packs or host them myself. In a way I prefer the hosting myself bit as it's all in one place etc. etc. however it is more responsibility.
    but both ways have their advantages and disadvantages as far as I can see.
    Edit - part of the disadvantage about clients doing it is they can get in a bit of a tiz with it sometimes if they're new to the web thang.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    i'm with 1 and 1 (reseller) and my company hage a root server with them. they aren't that bad but don't ever expect good support from them.
    I think that's the company my friend who gave me the space before was with actually.

Well ok I can recommend 5quidhost so far - let's see how it pans out.

Member #
    We point everyone to HostGator (www.hostgator.com) for affordable packages with great bandwidth and disk space.

Remove Ads