Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm looking into getting a few domain names. I'm wondering if websites like GoDaddy.com or Netfirms.com actually give you ownership of the domain name. If not where could I go for this?

Also, is there anywhere that will let you purchase the domains without making you pay for hosting? I'm not concerned about having much bandwidth or storage. The minimum is fine. Also, if there is only UNIX access that's fine. I'd probably only be using that.

I would like to have the domain name but not have to pay a monthly fee for hosting. Next year I will be moving across the country and will be planning on taking the website down for a few months.

I'd like to retain the domain names when I stop hosting them. Is this possible? Thanks.
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Domain names are not owned. They are leased from the organization that regulates them. You must register that lease with GoDaddy or other registrar. You don't have to get hosting to register a name with them... just select "no, no, no" to all the optional services.

Member #
    Oh, I thought I had to choose hosting.. It's free for one domain (supposedly).

Thumbs up! (:thumbsup You're helpful as usual.
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    One more question:

When the domain is registered will my contact info show up when someone runs a whois query or would it be my billing information, excluding credit card info of course?

- flipjargendy

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    All the contacts you set up will appear unless you choose registration by proxy, which is an extra charge that masks your info.

Member #
    This is part of the "Domain Privacy" agreement for making the whois anonymous for my site. Does this mean that I will still be able to transfer or sell the domain? This is from Netfirms.com.

Retention of Rights - you agree to retain all rights and liabilities associated with each of your domain names pursuant to any applicable registration agreement, including

1. the right to sell, transfer or assign each domain name registration;
    2. the right to control and use each domain name registration, including designating the primary and secondary domain name servers to which each domain name points;
    3. the right to cancel each domain name registration;
    4. the right to cancel this Agreement with Domain Privacy Group Inc. so that the applicable WHOIS™ database reverts to its default state identifying you as the Registrant;
    5. the right to renew each domain name registration upon its expiration, subject to your Registrar?s applicable rules and policies; and
    6. the right to initially resolve any and all monetary, creditor or other claims that arise in connection with a legal or other dispute involving your domain name registration, subject to Domain Privacy Group Inc.?s ongoing right to deny, suspend or terminate all service under this Agreement.
    - flipjargendy

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    ... YES.

"You agree to retain all rights ..., including: 1. the RIGHT to sell, TRANSFER, ...
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Dude.......if you are going to post all the rules and regulations, why don't you just call the company and ask them yourself?

I'm not sure why you are so worried about it, why the concern?

Technically you do "own" it, but it is correct in that you are leased. You can sell it or transfer it once you purchase the rights to the name.

Call the customer support line of each.
    1) It will answer all of the questions you are looking at (instead of cutting and pasting them on here)
    2) It will also give you a good idea of who has a better customer support system and may narrow down your choice of who to buy through.

Good luck.......
    GMan

Remove Ads