Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: .info

Member #
    I know that a .com domain is standard and more...prestigious, but .info domains are far cheaper. So...why not? What's the big difference?
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Hi,
    I think at the end of the day it depends on what your web-site is about.
    If it's a personal site or a site that's not for profit just lots of information about something then why not use .info.

If you are running a business I'd definitely go for .com and then perhaps the appropriate country specific domain as well.
    It gives things a more professional edge.

Chris.

Member #
    I am in Ireland with a info website and I use .co.uk (because it's cheap 1/5 of .com 1/25 of .ie ). and I haven't had any problems.

Member #
    For some reason, the .info domains never caught on. That's why they are so cheap. They are useful however as 'spare' or 'extra' domain names used by developers or designers who need a domain name to point to the website they are building.

Member #
    Since a large quantity of the spam I get (both e-mail and blog comments) either comes from or links to .info domains, I tend to look on them as highly suspect. I've heard others say the same, which may account for their low adoption rate -- it's a "bad neighborhood."

That said, I'd strongly recommend snapping up the .info version of your domain along with as many others as you can afford (example.net, example.org, etc.). These can all be forwarded to your main site, and controlling them all gives a bit of extra protection to your brand -- whether that brand is professional or personal.
    Zenscope Studio
    Quality Website Development and Graphic Design
    Specializing in Independently-Owned Businesses and Non-Profits
    www.zenscope.com

Remove Ads