Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    OK, here's the deal. My PC died (hard drive died, and took the whole thing to PC hell with it), and it has all of the files for the websites that I have done on it. I can go in via FTP to download the files for every site but one... whose host is going out of business, and has all but shut down the servers. Is there anyway to get the files? I know I can "View Source" but that doesn't give me the PHP code that I need for the site. I also can't log into the cPanel, since the server is down. Any ideas?
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Could you clarify.

Are you saying the server is down, or simply that the hosting company has denied FTP or Cpanel access?

Doesn't sound particularly hopeful either way, but if you explain more clearly the exact situation something might, however improbable, come to mind...

Sean

Member #
    C, all of the above.

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You're pretty screwed unless:
    • You have backups.
    • You ask your host to provide you with a backup.
    • You take your PC's hard drive to a data recovery business (can be expensive).
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, unless you actually contact the datacenter (or your client does), get the machine brought up and get them to copy to a tape or similar I'm not sure how you could possibly get the php files back - and if they bring the machine up, and it's connected to a network, then you should be able to FTP anyway so your issue has been resolved.

If, however, the machine is incapable of being rebooted then perhaps you could buy the hard drive from the host, though if it's shared hosting I doubt they'd be happy to provide it.

Short of talking to them I can't really see what else could be done - what sort of advice were you expecting here? Perhaps I've misinterpreted something, but ultimately if the machine is currently switched off you're not going to get anywhere before it's switched back on, so that's the first step.

Still quite confused as to what you're asking precisely. Apologies.

Sean

Member #
    @filburt, I don't have a recent backup, a lot of the information has changed, plus, it doesn't have the PHP bits that I need; I can't reach the host, everyone that did work there, is no longer employed, and the owner unreachable; I have a friend that will be trying to recover the data this weekend.

@sean, we are both emailing the datacenter, doing all that we can to get the files, but it is a slow process. It is shared hosting, so the host isn't likely to cough up the hard drive, even if we could get in touch with him.... I did reach his accountant though, but that didn't do much good. I am basically grasping at straws, trying to figure out how to get something together.

Remove Ads