Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

Just have a question that hopefully the good people here can help me out with.

I have designed a small website for somone and this person does not want to spend money on hosting. She is able to get a small amount of free webspace from her local internet provider, which I think will be sufficent for her site.

although she still wants to buy a domain name. Her internet provider will provide her with an address that will be something like this:

http://members.crcable.net/josans
    (not working yet, just for an example)

Now, I don't believe that I can get a domain to point here through any other means than forwarding it (please correct me if I am wrong).

So, my main question is, which domain registars offer the option of forwarding? Looking around on Network Solutions (where I registered my domain), it does not appear that they give this option. I have been told that GoDaddy offers this, but I want to make sure before telling this person to register her domain with them.

thanks for the help.

Member #
    Forwarding can mean different things. Typically it is used in reference to DNS. If a registrar forwards a domain, they typically mean they will forward it to another domain so that www.somedomain.com will go to www.example.com

From the scenario you are describing, that particular version of forwarding will not work for members.crcable.net

The registrar could forward www.somedomain.com to members.crcable.net, but it still would not auto-magically go to the josans directory.

To serve up a directory for the root/top level of a domain, the server that the directory resides on would have to be configured to "serve up" content so that www.somedomain.com gets mapped to some directory on the hard drive.

Now, my knowledge or registrars services is quite old. So they may have started offering a new service of forwarding. If they did, it would still involve hosting a file somewhere that basically redirected you to
    http://members.crcable.net/josan

Basically something like this (in a index.php file)
    <?php
    header("Location: http://members.crcable.net/josan");
    ?>

Member #
    hey,

Well in this article (although it is about 4 years old), it says you can buy a domain at GoDaddy and forward it to a geocities site, which is its own seperate directory.

http://www.theinternetdigest.net/archive/040803.html

Any insights there... its just I don't want to tell this person to buy the domain until I am sure that it is going to work for her.

Member #
    You're not ready yet to shell out $100 bucks a year for a web hosting service
    You can get hosting nowadays for like 4 bucks a month (yes, with quality). Thats a dollar a week, almost 13 cents a day. Would you really complain?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Remove Ads