Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Why is it that some web design and hosting companies will not let their customers use a domain name they purchased from another company - even though the customer hasn't built a site yet?

Should that cause any red flags for customers in such a situation?
    Thanks!

Member #
    It has to do with the hosting account being a shared server with a shared IP address.... If they have the domain name on the server then they can host it.
    The companies that allow you to host off site also allow for static IPs on there server... who are you looking to host through?

Matt Parent
    Parent Technology LLC
    Grand Rapids Web Design

Member #
    Thanks for your reply. I'm a bit new to web design so I don't understand the signifigance of a shared IP address and static IPs.
    What is a shared server with a shared IP address? Is that a bad thing for customers?
    Also, what does it mean to allow for static IP's on a server? Is that good for customers or does it not make much difference?
    I'm currently hosting with a company that doesn't allow people to use domain names purchased from other companies. They are an online design service site. You buy your domain through them and design your own site through their site. I just need to know if there are any red flags to be concerned with or not in buying such a service as I have.
    Help with these questions is appreciated!

Remove Ads