Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone,

I am a simple guy with simple needs.
    I am simply trying to set up a testing server to test my php sites. I am running Vista Premium (I know, I know). I have dowloaded the newest versions of PHP, MySql, and Apache 2.2.
    I have followed so many dead end tutorials that I could scream - everyone has their own way of doing it.
    I have created a directory c:server/www/mserver.dev/public_html or something like that. My php folder is in the server directory.
    When I type in http://localhost I get "It works".
    However, when I go to Program files-Apache 2.2-configure server, I get a command prompt error that it cannot load php5dts.dll, but the file is in the php folder!
    I disabled user control, i set the script map, put php.ini in windows dir, modified the php files, modified httpd.conf file, etc. I don't know if they are right and I've made so many changes I can't even keep track. Every tutorial i have read tells you something different.

I tried to set up WAMP and I am thinking about trying XAMP. I 've read that the all in one solutions are not the way to go, but I am willing to try anything. I feel I have done everything right as the file its asking for is there. I think its a PHP or Apache error.

Can some kind person please help me set this up. I am about to pay to get it done, but would prefer to set it up myself.

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Just discovered you can't install a php, mysql, and apache testing server on Vista. shows you how much i know. doh!

reverting back to xp.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can't install that combination on Vista? Seriously? That's ridiculous... Can you post a link to the relevant source?

Member #
    I tried every which way. The only way that worked for me was using XAMPP. From what I have read, that's the only way to get it to work on Vista because of all the wacky Vista settings. XAMPP may not be the best option, but i needed something quick and that worked for a beginner.

Hope this helps somebody. There are a lot of snake oil tutorials our there.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That's frustrating. Glad to hear you got up and running, though.

Member #
    Good that you got it working eventaully.

Vista sucks! I pitty anyone who has vista. :-D

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Remove Ads