Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: how the h3ll?

Member #
    I have recentlly started to design my first website and I have an issue concerning hosting. The issue is how would a beginner such as myself go about host their own site: what do I need ? what should I know ? what shouldn't I do ?

I am grateful for everyone's insight in this matter

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What you need: A host. There are loads of free hosts (may I suggest www.brinkster.com) most of them are gonna stamp an ad on your site - but it's free.
    The other option is a paid host. This I don't know, there are billions out there. You've got to decide if you want a) A good deal or b) Good service. That's pretty much how it is.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I would highly recommend buying a domain name. GoDaddy is pretty much the industry leader right now, you can buy a domain for about $8. Then, look around in our hosting reviews section for a host. I use an inexpensive host, Dinsol. They are about $12/year. Be wary though of cheap hosts, because some cheap hosts may not be around in 6 months, leaving you out of your money and w/o a host. Dinsol is a cheap host, but I have been happy with them in the six months that I have been with them, plus I didn't want to spend alot of money on my portfolio site. I have a complete domain hosted for a year for $20. Not bad

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Wow, Dinsol is cheap !!!

I should use them to host some of my basic sites that I wanna develop :-P

Or maybe I should just buy a server for myself... sheesh, I already have a T1 !!!

EDIT: T1 at work... I don't even have internet at home right now, lol

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Haha... nice. Yeah, I went with a cheap host to start out my (sort of) band's site... $15/year at www.uzipp.com I get 3gigs tranfer/month, 300mb space, 2domains etc. I'm happy... sure there was some downtime lately when they were switching to ensium pro and aren't pros yet - but ya know, for $15/year and that kind of tranfer (and download speeds of 300kb/s+ I might add) I'm not complaining. It's a bitchin deal... If I ever want reliable hosting, I'll go elsewhere.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Yeah Dinsol is pretty cheap...my plan is really small, but it's perfect for my small portfolio site: 10mb space, 1 gb/mo, 5 email addys + catchall, 1 subdomain, etc. They have larger plans that are reasonable too. Support is quick, I've had 3 questions for them since I've been with them, and never waited more than 5-6 hours for a response (usually less than an hour, they offer support via AIM too). Definately a decent way to get a site up inexpensively.

Member #
    Of course, if you want free hosting, don;t forget to check out any free web space you may get with your ISP simply for having an internet connection with them. When my reseller account went down in April I found myself suddenly finding out more - then using it - so I could post emergency updates. Useful if you need it, and free. Generally small, though, but if you're just looking to test the waters it could be ideal.

Member #
    I'm very tempted to advertise here. But i'm not going to

Look for good server specs, and a good package size. Try to pick a host that is flexible, so you can upgrade as your site grows. It might be worth investing in a decent package from the start.

You want to look for POP3 mail, CPanel (Or Plesk etc...), FTP access - these are all things that you should want if you are going to pay. If the company cant offer them, then its not worth it.

Member #
    Who doesn't offer those, though? Cheap and easy CPanel hosting companies are a score a dime. It's finding the established reputable ones that is hard.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Unfortunately, I, Brian is right. There are still far too many companies (albeit increasingly fewer these days) who "offer" you everything under the sun for 25 cents or less, but that's if you don't mind the server only being up for the hours of say, 11:59 PM to 12:00 AM at night.

Good hosting is one of the most difficult things to shop for, and even if you happen to find a good host today, there's no guarantee that they'll still offer the same quality service 6-8 months down the road. I've gone through four different hosts now in four years: Tentex back in the day, Burlee before Interland swallowed it; Interland from 2000 when it actually offered half-decent service to last month when I finally got sick of them; and now Sectorlink, who I'm presently with and am very happy with as a customer. I still feel the need to shop around every so often just to make sure that I'm getting a fair price and that I have a plan B should anything happen to my present plan A (this is not a knock on Sectorlink by any means; I've just developed a healthy paranoia based on past experience.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads