Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Xampp vs Wamp

Member #
    We have a webserver which exists for the sole purpose of running Moodle. It's not our primary webserver and sees MUCH less traffic than our main one. I originally opted for Xampp for the Moodle server because I was pretty well swamped with projects at the time and Xampp reduced my setup time to about 15 minutes. I've since found out that Xampp isn't generally considered a secure production platform and started reevaluating the setup. While setting up the Apache, MySQL, and PHP I need for Moodle seperately is well within my capabilities, I would prefer an easy-to-manage setup here because it's likely that if I ever leave my replacement will be unfamiliar with these platforms (we have strange technology demographics in this area).

All that is a rather long winded buildup for a rather simple question. Speaking in terms of security (and only security - I'm familiar already with the other relevant considerations), which is better? Xampp or Wamp? Are there any other alternatives along these lines? My basic requirements are:

Apache HTTP server
    PHP v5.2.8+
    MySQL v5+
    PHPMyAdmin or something similar
    Some sort of Apache management tool (even a very basic one would do...I'm the admin for this machine and I'm more comfortable with config files but a GUI will put the people I work with at ease)

Member #
    Hi Sisk,

Have you looked at UniformServer?http://www.uniformserver.com/

It may be what you're looking for. I've used it for quite some time for presentations, but also in a production environment for a not-so-technical user. It has a GUI interface that runs on Windows for Apache, MySQL, and PHP. Which was a god send for me to find at the time.

Brief Overview:
    The Uniform Server is a WAMP package that allows you to run a server on any MS Windows OS based computer. It is small and mobile to download or move around and can also be used or setup as a production/live server. Developers also use The Uniform Server to test their applications made with either PHP, MySQL, Perl, or the Apache HTTPd Server.

Security Concerns
    All default settings for the .ht files, both the .htaccess and the .htpasswd are set as in production use, and to secure your server from outsiders without your permission. We also use a separate folder in the root directory to keep the .htpasswd which is not accessable by outsiders or viewable by them, so that it stays secure.

Most people are concerned with the question if they can run The Uniform Server in production and the answer to that is Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sisk
    We have a webserver which exists for the sole purpose of running Moodle. It's not our primary webserver and sees MUCH less traffic than our main one. I originally opted for Xampp for the Moodle server because I was pretty well swamped with projects at the time and Xampp reduced my setup time to about 15 minutes. I've since found out that Xampp isn't generally considered a secure production platform and started reevaluating the setup. While setting up the Apache, MySQL, and PHP I need for Moodle seperately is well within my capabilities, I would prefer an easy-to-manage setup here because it's likely that if I ever leave my replacement will be unfamiliar with these platforms (we have strange technology demographics in this area).

All that is a rather long winded buildup for a rather simple question. Speaking in terms of security (and only security - I'm familiar already with the other relevant considerations), which is better? Xampp or Wamp? Are there any other alternatives along these lines? My basic requirements are:

Apache HTTP server
    PHP v5.2.8+
    MySQL v5+
    PHPMyAdmin or something similar
    Some sort of Apache management tool (even a very basic one would do...I'm the admin for this machine and I'm more comfortable with config files but a GUI will put the people I work with at ease)
    Josh

Remove Ads