Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    greetings again...

[1st off...I used to host my music (A&R) website on a dedicated windows server...'cause I thought it was necessary for streaming .wma files. when I discovered it wasn't...I went w/ a standard hosting package, w/ GoDaddy...now saving BIG bucks.]

BUT...

I moved my recording studio's site to it's own domain. [it used to be a series of pages on my A&R site.]

I now need to create a '301 Redirect' in my old site's directory to redirect surfers (who have my old url) to the new site...but more importantly...to retain my ranking w/ the major search engines...!!!

it cannot be done on a Windows server (which I'm on, w/ GoDaddy)...not an .htm redirect anyway, which I need. [&...I don't think I really need windows features like php or asp...I code my site(s) in Dreamweaver as html pages.]

so...if I migrate my site(s) to a Linux server...

1) will standard .wma streaming continue to work...??? (i.e., a .wax file in the directory that points to the .wma).

2) which type of server is FASTER for this task...(if any)...Linux or Windows...???

thanks,

mark4man

Remove Ads