Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok can someone tell me what's the best way to "swap" 2 domain names over? I have my main domain name and a new(parked) domain name and I want to swap them over so the parked domain becomes the main domain, now I was told by an SEO expert that you would need to do a 301 redirect in the .htaccess file for every single page for it to be SEO friendly but isn't this the same as doing a 301 redirect of one domain to another? and if so I am told by the Host I would need to delete the main account and re load the website onto the server under the new domain(account) seems drastic for such a big site aranoid:

Member #
    Yes, 301 is the best option for SEO. You could put something like this in the .htaccess file on the OLD domain:

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.NewDomainName.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    However, if you did not keep the page names from the old domain exactly the same on the new domain (even including the extension), you should do a 301 redirect on each of the pages individually (ugh)

Member #
    really? ugh! so redirecting each page individually in the current domain(main) .htaccess file will be enough or do I actually have to delete the files from current domain and load them all back onto the new domain then park it under the new domain in order to make it the "main" domain?? LMAO! totally confusing!!!

Member #
    Don't delete the files from the OLD domain yet.
    1 - Install all your content under the NEW domain
    2 - Verify that it is setup and working under the NEW domain (no broken links, etc.)
    3 - Add the 301 redirect code (from my first response) to the .htaccess file of the OLD domain
    4 - Test it by viewing a page of the OLD domain. Make sure redirect is working properly (no 404 errors, etc.)

That is a basic list if you are keeping the page names exactly the same and you are ONLY moving the content from the OLD domain to the NEW domain.

However, if you are renaming any pages, you really should do individual 301s on each renamed page. In that case, here is what you would put in your .htaccess file on the OLD domain:
    Code:
    Redirect 301 /OLD-page-name.htm http://www.NewDomainName.com/NEW-page-name.htm
    If there is a chance that some of your OLD domain pages are not indexed, you can probably get by with leaving them out of the 301 redirect. However, it is best to do all pages (ugh - I know)
    In case you don't know, you can get an idea of what pages are indexed by searching for this in Google, Yahoo and Bing:
    Code:
    site:OldDomainName.com
    Clear as mud? I feel your pain...

Member #
    thanks you so much for the info!
    Turns out I couldn't load the site files to the "parked" domain until the "main" domain account was deleted I think because they share the same server?? but I have loaded the site onto the NEW domain and it's working now. However the redirect has me a bit confused LOL if I've now made the parked domain the main domain when I put in a 301 redirect of the old domain which is now parked how would I write my redirect code? oldnowparkeddomain.com to newmaindomain.com or the other way around?
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newmaindomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    ??

Member #
    Yes, you want to put the redirect code in the .htaccess file of the OLD domain just like you are showing.

Think of it this way:
    Anytime someone visits www.OldDomanName.com, you want them to automatically be sent to www.NewDomainName.com. So you need those instructions to be in place in the .htaccess file of www.OldDomainName.com.

When a person visits a website hosted on a LAMP platform, the first thing that is referenced is the .htaccess file. So when someone visits www.OldDomainName.com, its .htaccess file will spring into action and automatically send them to www.NewDomainName.com.

Another way of thinking about it is just like the automatic Call Forwarding that is sometimes setup for telephone numbers.

If this is helpful, click the Thumbs Up icon and give me some points

Member #
    you've been a fantastic help than you so much! have thumbed you up lol
    There is one thing that I don't understand, after the redirect when I check it on a redirection search it say's that both domain's including the parked redirected domain is actually a direct link? is this something to do with the server or have I not re directed it right? it's almost as if I have 2 sites on the one server not one with links being redirected

Member #
    You have some great articles on your website sorry I didn't look earlier! would you mind if I added a link to your articles on my website?

Member #
    Thanks for the thumbs up! I am not sure what you mean when you say 'redirection search'. At this point, there may still be links out there that say 'www.OldDomain.com', but if you click on them, you should be automatically redirected to 'www.NewDomain.com'. Is that happening?

If you want to send me the URLs in a private message, do that and then I can take a peek.

Thanks also for the compliments on the articles! We try our best. Please feel free to link to anything that you find useful.

Member #
    If you search on the web, you can find tools to check headers. One thing you want to be careful about from an SEO standpoint is a double redirect.

If you use header check tools, you can verify that there is only one redirect and that the appropriate 301 code is being returned. While the code provided will do the trick, I always double check headers.

I had a client that inadvertently introduced a double 301 redirect when moving to a new domain. This had a negative impact on his SEO.

Remove Ads