Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There is no such thing as "unlimited" anything. You can only transfer so many GB a month and a hard drive can only hold so much data.

NEVER buy hosting where unlimited storage space or bandwidth is advertised. If you carefully read such a host's TOS, they'll often say what they really mean by "unlimited": usually before system resources are affected or a ridiculously low numerical value compared to what you'd expect.

On a related note, you may never advertise as such at WDF (and this is only allowed--with heavy restrictions--in signatures and in Service Requests). Offering unlimited services is the same as false or misleading advertising, and you will be banned.

(this is also a discussion thread)
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

JR
    Member #
    what about unlimited mailboxes or databases?
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Technically that's not possible either although it's not as important as the other two. It should instead say "no quota."
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree with you filburt. A lot of people ask for "unlimited" this and that. Technically you can only offer as much as the server can handle (bandwidth, processing, disk space)...before you hit it's LIMIT! I get requests for unlimited crap all the time...it's just not going to happen

Member #
    Unlimited anything is a total myth. If someone is stupid enough to go for hosting that offers that then they are idiots and are bound to end up very unhappy with their web hosting services

Member #
    I can not believe there are hosts that still offers unlimited.

They should move on and stop trying to attract new customers (newbie usually) with a scam.

Member #
    Unlimited mailboxes and dbs, etc, always simply implies that there are no fixed limits to these resources used. AFAIK, it's a common practice to use this description for these services, on the grounds that they are only limited by the space and bandwidth allocation of the plan.

But unlimited bandwidth and diskspace...never a good sign.

Banned
    Member #
    Originally posted by I, Brian
    Unlimited mailboxes and dbs, etc, always simply implies that there are no fixed limits to these resources used. AFAIK, it's a common practice to use this description for these services, on the grounds that they are only limited by the space and bandwidth allocation of the plan.

But unlimited bandwidth and diskspace...never a good sign.
    Like mah site

http://www.BANNEDFROMMYSIGHT.com

Unlimited means the number of email accounts, databases, FTP accounts, etc. are only limited by your disk space and bandwidth.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    "Unlimited" is a marketing term.... the tech equivalent of the word "Free".

It's assumed that everyone knows there's no such thing as "Unlimited", just as there's no such thing as "Free".

It's not considered misleading advertisement to offer a pair of sunglasses for "Free", with $15 shipping and handling, is it? The reason is, everyone knows $15 is an unreasonable amount to pay for shipping and handling, and realizes they're paying $13.50 for a "free" pair of sunglasses.

Similarly, everyone in our industry will eventually know enough about technical limitations to know that unlimited bandwidth is both infeasible and impossible. They will realize that "unlimited" means "You can use all of our bandwidth if you want, but you pay overage fees if you use more than 2 Gb".

On another note, there are places where you can get true "connection limited" hosting for a fixed price. Places like Verio and Exodus will colo your machine and hook it up to a Tx or OCx for a set cost, not charging extra for bandwidth usage. The drawback is that service starts in the range of $600 a month, and goes up to over $100,000 per month (imagine what Yahoo pays Exodus for hosting !!!)

So the next time you see "unlimited" hosting for $6 a month, realize what everyone else already knows... there's a catch.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm hosted by a company that gives me limited disk space - can't remember how much because I will never reach half the amount - and I have 'unrestricted' as my available space. I looked into this and it seems that when my account was set up it wasn't done quite right and I have some of the bonuses of a decent package rather than the 6 per month one I've signed up for.

Isn't that wonderful? I now have the space to host my site about 450,000 times over!

If anybody's temporarily short an MB or two let me know and I'll set you up a folder.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads