Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Lor
    Member #
    When and if your host goes belly-up, how much of a hassle is it to get your domain name transferred to another host? How long does it usually take? Let's assume that the name is registered completely in your name (not one the deals wherein your former host had some attachment to the domain name for registering it for you). I am not having any problems myself, but I ask since I want to get an idea of the potential consequences for choosing a cheap host that might disappear at any time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    If you registered the name yourself, it's perfectly easy. If your host did it, you can be screwed...that's why you never register a domain through your host
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Lor
    Member #
    OK, thanks nice to hear. I am basically inquiring on behalf of others, since I am going to recommend hosts to them, and I don't want them to suffer any serious consequences if the host I recommend goes belly-up.

I did register my name through my host, however; but when I check it on WHOIS everything is in my name. Do you think I would still have a problem if and when I wanted to transfer?

Remove Ads