Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm working on a site for my club:

Ft. Myers Amateur Radio Club

This site is desperately in need of a facelift, especially since the back-end coding is a disaster (it was put together using FrontPage). I wanted to use PHP to do some dynamic background stuff (PHP includes to use the same menu on every page, dynamically loading a page from a database, etc.) I also planned to include a PHP calendar, if I could find one that fit my needs. I think this would improve the functionality of the site (along with a re-organization of the content), as well as make it a little easier to maintain.

Part of the problem is, the site is hosted with GoDaddy. They have two hosting options: Windows server or Linux server. The Windows server supports FrontPage Extensions, but only on IIS 6.0 or earlier (ASP only, no PHP support). The Windows server supports PHP5, but only on IIS 7.0 or later (no FrontPage Extension support). I don't think the Linux hosting option supports FrontPage Extensions at all (but supports PHP).

I am more of the mindset "Do it right, or don't do it at all". I prefer to hand-code everything, because then I KNOW it's right, correct, proper, and follows the standards, whereas with any of the WYSIWYG tools, well, you're sort of letting everything happen "automatically".

The problem there is that most of the members of the club are 60+ years old, and (just like in any other club) 10% of the people do 90% of the work. I will be leaving in about a year's time, and the president of the club is very afraid to make any changes. (I'm assuming that FrontPage and/or Expression Web could be used to edit the site even without FrontPage Extensions, and on either a Windows or Linux host). Could FrontPage and/or Expression Web edit PHP files without breaking them?

I also have created a database to keep track of the club's membership. I created the database in MS Access because I didn't really plan on doing anything with it. Then I got put in charge of the website, and now I have some possibilities. But if I move over to the Linux hosting account, I have to change the database into a MySQL database (which I assume isn't a big deal. I have 1 table with 200 or so records, about 25 queries, and a form.)

So here's my question / dilemma: Do I disable FrontPage Extensions? Do I move to the Linux server? Is it really worth all the trouble? Or am I just wasting my time trying to update the site, making it standards-compliant in the process, only for someone to come along behind me and wreck it? (Or for that matter, not know how to do anything, or not want to do what I consider easy? I've already spent hours writing a W3C XHTML-strict 'mirror' site in ASP. I doubt anyone else in the club will dedicate that kind of time to maintaining the website, nevermind making sure it is correct. On the other hand, it might be easy to maintain after I get it written...)

Thank you for your time.

Banned
    Member #
    If you are leaving I'm not sure I would do anything with it. If it is working now and can be maintained easily I wouldn't change anything.

Member #
    After thinking about it, that's kind of the conclusion I came to as well...

However, I've already edited most, if not all of the pages by hand. Will this break the FrontPage Extensions? Could I have them ditch FrontPage for Microsoft Expression Web?

FrontPage has just wreaked havoc with the background code. It's disgusting.

I had hoped to update the website, but I suppose a bunch of older folks don't really give a hoot about standards. Maybe I can explain improved functionality (add an interactive event calendar) and improved organization. Who knows.

Well, in any event, thanks for your time and input.

Remove Ads