Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Originally posted by I, Brian
    Many companies - especially hosting companies - act in utter isolation from their customers. How many hosting companies even provide URL's to any of their customer sites?
    The only problem with that is confidentiality. I'm not going to post a URL to a customer's site without their permission.

But your point is a good one about a lot of hosts acting in isolation from their customers. It sometimes seems to be a very clinical industry in that way.

I think a lot of that has built up because of the scammers . Hosts scamming customers have made them very 'stand-off-ish', and customers scamming hosts have made them more cautious.

It's a shame though.

Banned
    Member #
    I agree . . .

Due to the fact customers information is easily accessible from a whois search we will not post their URL without thier consent.

Originally posted by disoft
    The only problem with that is confidentiality. I'm not going to post a URL to a customer's site without their permission.

But your point is a good one about a lot of hosts acting in isolation from their customers. It sometimes seems to be a very clinical industry in that way.

I think a lot of that has built up because of the scammers . Hosts scamming customers have made them very 'stand-off-ish', and customers scamming hosts have made them more cautious.

It's a shame though.

Member #
    hosting

Hi Craig,
    This is my first post at web design forums.
    The company I have been using for my last four websites an dmy own is DigitalSpace.Net. It's $3.00 a month $35.00 year for domain name and 2.5 gbs of transfer per month. And you get 10MB of disk space. They have outstanding (live chat) tec support and a nice website for support also. The only draw back is they do not have a deduction from a credit card you have to use paypal or send a check.

I hope this was a help.

Brian

Member #
    Turn-ons: Free hosting (I have no method to pay, nor a steady income), ftp access, remote linking, long walks down the beach

Turn offs: popups, ads, limited web space

I am currently using brinkster, altough they recently started using ads and never had ftp access.

Member #
    Turn-Ons: Low price, many features, support
    Turn-Offs: Pop-up ads, advertising on the hosting page etc.

Current Host: http://www.raine-tech.com

We had a chance to talk to the owner of Raine-Tech hosting via MSN and talked about his business with him. Basicly we were looking for a cheap hosting service and boy did we get it. 4 bucks a month for unlimited everything. (Not trying to plug, just sharing why we went with him) We thought "at that price we can afford to take the risk with the host because we have everything backed up everyday in case he goes down"

[Li] Brad
    "Art strives for form, and hopes for beauty." - George Bellows

Member #
    raine???

Li,

I'm impresses with your find with raine. do you know how much they charge to register a domain name? Or do you know a company that does cheap domain registering? Thanks for that tip.

Brian

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://www.godaddy.com <--- cheap domain registration and no banners or other hassles. If you do need support though, you're gonna have to call long distance. (If you're smart like me, though, you'll have some kind of long distance plan that'll work around that issue nicely.)

As far as Raine Technologies is concerned, you shouldn't have to see ads on your site if you're using a paid host. Ever. Under any circumstances. Whatsoever. Period. If it's a free host, I can understand this. When it's paid, even if it's a buck a month, you're still paying for hosting and at that point, they should take off (the ads), eh?

I didn't see any advertising on their hosting page other than for their own products, which is very understandable. Are you sure you put the right site in?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    What do you look for when chosing a provider?
    I have a checklist of things it must have. Must be linux or unix, do php, ssi, more than one mysql, i absolutely insist on it using Cpanel, I like it when they give you a demo of it too, to see what features they have enabled in it. Pluses go to those who allow addon domains, parked domains and subdomains. SSH and Cron are a plus but not a must, usually.
    I tend to check out their support section on the website. If it says 24/7, support, or even better, live chat support, that's a plus.
    I also don't like to pay more than $10 a month.

What things would put you off a provider?
    Yearly payments only, paypal payments only, their own control panels instead of Cpanel (yes im a total Cpanel nazi ), and if their site is badly designed it makes me doubt their professionalism. I also tend to do a DNS check on their domain name to see how long they existed for. If they're too new, I don't go for it.

Who's your current provider? are you happy with them? Why? What made you chose them?
    I have a couple of sites with www.ionhosting.com. A friend recommended them a few years ago. I remember at the time they also bragged about hosting Eminem's official site, so I thought "oooh they must be something". haha. Well they're ok, I can't complain too much, we hardly ever have any downtime and the servers are quite fast, although I have been a little bitter with them since I am forced to pay more for less as an old customer, in comparison to their new hosting plans.
    I also have a couple of sites with www.ace-host.net. I went with them cos they offer a lot for little money, but as these things go, I'm not too happy, their servers tend to be slow and their mysql sometimes blocks all users out, about every 2-3 months we're down for an hour or so because of it. I'd move to another host if I was 100% sure they were better.

Apart from that, seeing as I am in Croatia, I host several more sites on croatian providers. www.croadria.com is one of them, but I must say I really loathe them. They give you absolutely no control over your account, you have to ring them to do a simple thing like opening a mysql database. I never chose them, they were a client's choice.
    Another croatian host I've dealt with is www.avalon.hr - they're ok, the site in question is on a windows server, and recently they installed a good control panel so I'm quite happy with it. I intend to move that page to a better linux host though, so they're gonna be history soon.

Member #
    Always test the customer support service and pre sales service prior to signing up with any package. No matter how many features or products they offer. I have used companies in the past who have offered an array of excellent serices but have taken "2 months" to get a reply to a support email and the support line costs up to GBP 1 per minute.

Member #
    Having ran the gamut between hosts from the cheapest virtuals to having leased my
    own dedicated server, the only thing I have learned is some respect towards the hosts
    that appear to be really trying, because administering a nixbox isn't as easy as it looks.

Beyond that it doesn't really matter, and while I certainly don't appreciate dishonest advertising...
    I also find it doesn't matter what they claim, they're all FOS and hosting is wild.
    Oh, a big wild, biggest joker on the Internet, there are other services that match the comedy but that's another story.
    I have very little tolerance today for the load of crap they feed us, but what can you do?
    It's all hit and miss, trial and error and GFL.

Price?
    I find I'm just as likely to get great reliability and unparalleled service at the $1 a year place than the $100 a month company.
    Well, almost...!

Features?
    Features mean little, other than every feature consumes resources.
    Hence the more features a host offers, the less performance the server has left.
    Find one with as close to having just the features you absolutely need, an attitude
    of if they don't have it then you don't need it might help.

Support?
    24 hour turn around of some kind and I don't care if it's December 25th, nothing
    irritates me more than hosts who take vacations and basically go awol.
    Yes, hosting is a 24-7-365 company, if a host doesn't want to work the hours they should look for another job.

Performance?
    A virtual host should be able to support 250,000 data requests a month.
    However that is all a virtual site can handle, the server will start to crash once most any site on it gets past 200k, dig that.

Probably the other thing I learned, if you ever find a host that's good for you?
    STFU and do NOT tell anyone where you are hosted, otherwise soon the whole entire
    world comes rushing in and crowds everything up and fuxors up your pretty lil situation.
    Matter of fact find a way to mask your Whois info, especially the dns / nameservers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads