Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm in the market for a good webhost. These are my requirements:

5GB bandwidth or more
    Dont need much space, 50MB is more than enough
    2 mysql databases, recent version
    subdomains, I'll need atleast 1 subdomain
    PHP4.2+

Thats really all I need, POP accounts are pretty standard, and I really only need one for myself... That, and it'd be nice to be able to pay by check. So a canadian company would be great, otherwise I'll have to use my visa.

My website is a php-based website with comics, article, stories, etc... along with some forums to go with it. Also I will be hosting an online web game(php based), with its own forums as well.

These are the hosts I'm looking at right now:
    http://www.hostdime.com/hosting.shtml Deluxe package
    http://ez-web-hosting.com/plans.shtml This looks a little shady to me...
    http://www.ehostsource.com/ This looks pretty good, but they dont give a lot of details about the plan

A good place to register a domain would be nice as well, tho it'd be nice to go thru my hosting company to lessen the bills I have to keep track of.
    Visit Nahallan.com for game development, a webcomic, articles and more.

Member #
    For the domain , I suggest you register through GoDaddy . The price is very good and no problem at all. Easy transfers and control panel (forwarding and DNS, etc.).

Post edited by moderator.

Member #
    Domain suggestion

If you need a good place to register a domain, godaddy.com works, but also namesecure.com. I've registered tons of domains there, and there has never been any problem.

If you are going to go with one of the plans above, then go with the 1st one. The other two links just don't seem "right".

Member #
    Cal Poly, no offers in this forum please.

Member #
    Make sure the host you go with has good recommendations. Too many people see a cheap offer and go for it - only to find later that they got precisely what they paid for.

If you're not after much space you could always check out some of the bigger hosts such as www.VenturesOnline.com and www.pair.com - both of which have a great reputation for reliabilty (hence why I have a plan with one and would happily buy from the other).

As for domain name registration - there's also

www.enom.com
    www.gandi.net

I use Gandi, but am likely to register new domains with enom now - simply because I don't like keeping too many eggs in one basket.

Member #
    I think my host is pretty good, automatic-fan.com. I only pay $10 for 350mb and unlimited e-mail, php , and ,mysql, subdomains, ftp, and 1 cpanel. The lowest paln is $6.00 for 150mb. Hope that helps.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd agree with the GoDaddy recommendation. They're cheap, they're safe, and their user interface is pretty easy to work with (so I've found anyway. Then again, I'm a nerd.)

As far as HostDime is concerned, I have had no business dealings with them but I have had a rather interesting discussion on another board with the owner, Emanuel (at least that's who I think he was) a while back.

Click here to read the fun I had with him (co-starring other intelligent people who could read between the lines).

Based on that experience, and one that a former friend of mine had with them (he hosted a personal site with HostDime for about a week and had his site go down in 5 days never to come back again), I'd have to say avoid them like they're the Bubonic plague. They are some of the most unprofessional, biased, belligerent people I've ever dealt with.

I'm not familiar with the other two companies at all, but I do like the fact that EZ Web Hosting uses the DemoDemo Videos (big up to Vito Cetini, someone I've met personally and found to be a very intelligent and friendly man, and his crew). For a newbie to hosting (or even to someone who forgets how to do something the odd time), those videos can come in really handy. That also suggests that they take their business somewhat seriously (since the DemoDemo tutorials are around $175 a pop.) I'm not overly crazy about the look of their website, but I don't necessarily hold it against them.

The other company doesn't impress me. For one thing, they only take PayPal (blehhhhhhhh). For another thing, they don't reveal much info on their plans, as you mentioned.

If I had to pick between the three, I'd take a flyer on the second one, EZ Web Hosting.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I recommend my host http://brandblast.com , lots of features, cheap, reliable, good support, that's all it takes to make me happy.

Member #
    hmm let see --

I would recommend www.namecheap.com for the domain for which they are a enom reseller but cheaper then enom..

for quality hosting i would go with www.verio.com if it is for business .. or interland.com -- remember you pay for what u get -- the above mention hosts are well known host on the internet
    Mas
    Gemini-isp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Interland.com is a sick joke now. They used to be one of the better hosts out there, but they grew too much too fast, swallowing up companies such as Burlee and Communitech, and their business has never been the same since.

It's also pretty clear that this site, if it is a business site (which I doubt) will be a fairly low-profit site, so high-end hosting really doesn't suit DeadMan's needs. Best to keep it simple and cheap.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads