Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Company Name

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So I've been pondering it a while, and I'm semi-certain I want to make it a point to make money off of my web desing/programming. A few questions... first off, are there any legal limitations (USA) as far as making money off of web design? I know like you have to pay self-employment tax off of your profits, but what about thing like selling services under a different name than your own?

Also I've been thinking about names...

My top choice as of this far is Warpspire It's got some history, but it's all mine nonetheless. Also of course my name.. Kyle Neath, I could probably fit in neath in there somehow but I'm not sure how I would do it... suggestions are welcome
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    If you use a name other than your own name for business, you need to file a Ficticious Name Statement in the county in which you live. There is a small fee, and you usually have to make a small ad announcement in a paper in the city in which you live. The ad may be free depending on the paper/area in which you live.
    -Andy Zmudosky

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You will have to be a DBA (Doing Business As) if you receive payment as XYZ Company. However, if you receive checks in YOUR name, there's no real need for it, except that it makes you look more professional.

Either way, you will have to file a 1099 for taxes, and you're going to pay your tax bracket taxes, plus social security and double fica (15.3%).

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay cool... I pretty much knew all of that stuff, just wanted to make sure Any comments on the name? Warpspire... I like it, however I don't know if it's very easily remembered as I've dealt with this name for well over 5 years (in other circumstances) so it's kind of engrained into my memory.

Thanks for the help.

Member #
    i think that warspire might scare some of the more *gentle* people away..

example: if a small florist wanted a website and they were to choose out of warspire.com and kylesdesigns.com then i think they would choose kylesdesigns..

i think its best to keep it personal when starting a design company because you need to keep in touch with them as much as possible. So its quite personal..

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Okay, I've semi decided to just go with something around my name: Kyle Neath... unfortunately I'd like to keep the neath thing out since it seems to imply that I'm underneath somethign Also that, or something with my targeted city SLO (San Luis Obispo)... So here's some really retarded ideas I"ve come up with:
    kyleslo (My favorite, for some reason I didn't realize what it meant until I said it out loud )
    kyle's design (although I'd REALLY like to keep design out of the name)
    neath design (ugh)
    So yeah... I just suck at coming up with names for stuff like this.. now tell me to come up iwth a band name and I"ve got a ton

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Dude,

Your name is PERFECT !!! The key is to take advantage of the "Neath".

Try Neath.com or NeathDesign.com or something along those lines.

Your tag line can be "Neath Design - Beneath every great design is a great designer." or "Neath Design - The people beneath the design."

Make sure to put a quote from you on the splash or homepage, signed "Kyle Neath, President".

Intelligent visitors would catch on to the implicit message and be impressed by it. At least I think so

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you very much transio... I think the 105 temperature outside seemed to have melted my brain backwards... neathdesign.com is avalible... now I'll just have to rework my logo a bit
    (on a side note, did anyone notice godaddy has been down for almost a full day now?)

P.S. - do you mind if I straight up rip your designer quote?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    He created it for you i say steal it! steal it! its your for the taking :laugh:

Dont worry, if you take it before he says no it ok :laugh:
    Jason Anderson
    Grommet Designs
    Web / Graphic Design

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Yeah, I made it for you, although I thought about it for all of 30 seconds before typing it. You could probably come up with something infinitely better (along the same lines, of course) if you spent some time thinking about it. And then, of course, the bragging rights would also be 100% yours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads