Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im not trying to spam or anything thus I will not mention my company name. I respect your rules. I have a few questions to ask to you the design community, since you are after all the other half of our industry. What exactly do you guys look for when you look for hosting. What wets your taste buds, im 100% fully functional hosting business but im interested in centralizing better support and services that I offer to design customers. So please list the best things that you look for in a hosting company. I appriciate it.
    Thank you,
    Cory

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Honesty - If you're offering me 200gb space, 500gb tranfer for $5/month with no setup fee... I know something's off kilter. Be straight up with your costs, don't lie about "our servers are always up" unless they are always up. Don't lie about uptime... "well, we don't count it as offline since it was scheduled maintinence.. ", etc. Also, if I complain to you in an email that my site was down, don't respond with "well blah blah blah [we're rude arses] it's your fault." just blame it on yourself and go on with business, even if it was my fault.

Support - this is the most important IMO, if a customer has a problem, solve it for them, even if it is rediculous. 90% of support problems are stuff like "my php script script.html isn't working, why?" etc. Just be polite and help them through it, or tell them nicely it's not your business to be debugging php scripts.

Features - My preferred are: perl/php/mysql/cpanel/awstats/htaccess/ftp

Stats - Exactly what are the uptime graphs for your server like? Can I see the graphs? What kind of server am I on? How much Ram? etc

Community - Not really under your control, but a nice community attatched to the hosting company is always a plus.

Good, easy to use - Dont' make registration impossible... make billing very clear and easy to understand with lots of advance warning if your account is about to expire... etc

How Long? - If a hosting company has been around 3 months, how am I to know if you'll still exist in 3 weeks? i want to see proof that your hosting company has been around the block, and has a lot of experience managing servers as well as a good customer base that proves you wont go under within a matter of weeks.

Those are my biggies
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Nice coverage Brak. I think that covers the majority of it all, except for 1.

"Unlimited Bandwidth" BULL$&*!

Tell someone exactly how much bandwidth they can get. After your normal packages, list one that says "Bandwidth prices over x GB/mo varies"
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    i dont believe in the unlimited bandwith. It gives me the feeling of buying a car for 50% under the blue book rate. Theres got to be a catch. Weather it be lack of support or lack of keeping a promise. I believe in strait forward firm packages with no small print. :shrug: seems like more and more these days people are trying to bend you over. Gives good hosts a bad name.

Member #
    Luckily i have most of this covered pretty well, I do appriciate the tips though and they will definently go into much thought and brainstorming. Thanks again.

Remove Ads