Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi I'm trying to get my head around openvpn and all help I can find is hard to understand
    I have recently installed openvpn gui for windows on the vps server but I really don't know what to do next.
    All I want to do is to access VPN from any windows platform.
    Grateful for you help.
    Sincerely
    Andla

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Let me ask something VPN ( virtual private network ), is typically used as a way to securely access a resource ( network or server ) using typically some type of encryption.

This usually involves an "endpoint", which is what I'm assuming is what you installed, and some sort of client software that initiates and authenticates the connection.

Depending on the encryption and client software used, you also have to make sure that all equipment in between is compatible ( some switching hardware doesn't support anything but cisco ),

So my questions are ? Have you checked to make sure all your hardware will actually support a VPN connection ? And what is your client software ? Connecting to a network ? Or a specific machine ?

Member #
    Thanks Webzarus for responding.
    I just found out that windows built in vpn client doesn't support openvpn server. I got informed that openvpn doesn't support PPTP/L2TP which is necessary for windows VPN.

So my questions are ? Have you checked to make sure all your hardware will actually support a VPN connection ? And what is your client software ? Connecting to a network ? Or a specific machine ?
    I have not come that far yet. I have to ask my host provider if they support the hardware for all type of encryptions.

I suspect that the easiest thing would be to use openvpn client or neorouter client.

Member #
    Windows Server 2008 has a built-in VPN server in its Routing and Remote Access role. Its easy to set up once the role is installed.

Member #
    I guess you have to download OpenVPN for windows for it to work. You can check a guide to set it up automatically or manually.

Remove Ads