Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am having an issue with a client, I am redesigning the website and the old website I cannot find on the server. Its actually live but when I go to the server I can not find any of the files or folders. I checked that the domain was pointing to the correct server and it was, cant even find the php index file that the website starts with. I am fairly new to this, so if anybody has any suggestions please let me know...

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What os and web server are you running ?

You mentioned php so just assuming a Linux distro ... But I run php on all my windows servers.

Will make a difference.

Member #
    The website is hosted by NS, and its a Unix server. Dont know if that answered your question.
    The person who last designed the website is in bad terms with the owner, so asking him is out of the question. Seems like the website is not hosted where the domain name is pointing(networksolutions) and like I said i am very new to this, soI am clueless . Thanks for helping btw

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Ok, so this is just a hosting package and not a standalone server.

Once you connect to FTP to access the site, there should be only a couple of folders, but this is what is considered he root.

Because each host is a little different the naming of the folders can be different. I've seen the folder that holds the web visible files called ht_docs, www_docs , w_docs, webdocs , etc...

Once you open that file you should see folders and files associated with the site.

If you can't find it, I'd suggest contacting the hosting provider for the account to see where the site is pointed. I could be somewhere complete different than the FTP that is setup for it.

If the DNS pointer has been modified you can usually trace it down to where it's at, since you are new to all this, your best bet would be to contact the hosting provider and or registrar ( if not the same ), to find out where the domain name is pointed and where the files are located.

Member #
    Thanks Webzarus, yes once I connect I am at the level of ht_docs, I checked that the dns servers are pointing to the NS servers, everything seems normal. The files are not there thats the weird thing about it. I will contact NS to see if they can help me out. I appreciate your help.

Remove Ads