Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    ...I am trying to think of a way to not be at the mercy of web based email providers that sell my information to third party advertisers. I know about Lavabit.com email but their email accounts don't have enough options for me.

I was going to try this way of setting up a server:

http://www.instantfundas.com/2008/03...server-at.html

Building off of DuckDuckGo's idea of privacy, I want to start my own personal (just for me, no end users) web based email server so I don't have to deal with third party advertisers or somebody else managing my email service. And then just give that email address out to friends who can contact at my own server that I run myself so I know no one is managing my email other than me.

Does this make any sense to someone who knows about this stuff or do I not understand web servers? Once I have my own web server set up, would the emails be on my computer? I prefer if they were completely web based so I don't use up more space on my computer.

Is this or something close to it possible? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What that article doesn't explain completely is that you need to do this on a machine that is going to be on all the time, and you have to leave your Internet connection on all the time...

Also doesnt explain that many ISP's TOS ( terms of service ), forbid you to run any kind of web hosting and or mail service on a "residential class" server... How do they enforce it ? Simple... They block the ports that those services normally communicate on...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Some domain name providers also provide free email accounts with the purchase of a domain... Those email systems are generally setup as web-based systems... And have a 100m limite to the mailbox size... But if you can configure your "mail client", like Eudora, outlook, etc... To pull all the mail from the server... Then no big deal...

You can also go another route... Purchase a domain name, purchase an email package to go with it... Depending on what oh want to spend... Will give you a lot more room... Web based

Or if you're really concerned... Some hosting providers offer "outlook exchange" mail setup.. So you have the robustness of outlook without all the headaches or managing a mail server, exposing your home network to potential threats... Etc.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 234038
    Some domain name providers also provide free email accounts with the purchase of a domain... Those email systems are generally setup as web-based systems... And have a 100m limite to the mailbox size... But if you can configure your "mail client", like Eudora, outlook, etc... To pull all the mail from the server... Then no big deal...

You can also go another route... Purchase a domain name, purchase an email package to go with it... Depending on what oh want to spend... Will give you a lot more room... Web based

Or if you're really concerned... Some hosting providers offer "outlook exchange" mail setup.. So you have the robustness of outlook without all the headaches or managing a mail server, exposing your home network to potential threats... Etc.
    But with the email accounts provided by the domain name seller's is my information still in danger of being sold to the highest third party bidder? I mean, it's still susceptible to someone else's privacy policies and unscrupulous internal hackers among the hosting staff.

Oh, this is quite a kerfuffle. How in the heck do we keep our email accounts under our own control?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Spend 30k for a server located in a secure data center.. And plan on spending about 10 hours a month patching, scanning, updating the server and firewall that protects it.

Then who's to say the peoe that you rent space from in the secure data center won't sell your email address ??????

I manage 6 mail servers for clients as well as have several ( like above )...

You're more likely to get spammed from one of those emails that get forwarded around among people ( you've seen the ones that get forwarded 10-15 times ), and everyone's email address is forwarded with it... Than you're going to get from running your own mail server ( like above )...

I have 1 email account on one domain that I run a site on... It's been up and running for over 6 years... The 1 email address is used for contact purposes from a domain management ... I have not received a single piece of spam mail on the account...

Where as the email address one of my sisters has ( that gets forwarded all around )... Gets 50 or more junk and spam mails a day...On that account...

If you go the route you mentioned in the first part... Whose to say the database for the no-ip account is secure ?

In my world, you need 4 email addresses

1. Business only ( only used to communicate with those that understand the risk )
    2. Personal ( semi-private , only shared with a handful of people )
    3. Public ( use for mail list ) - highly disposable... Dropped easily if overrun
    4. Public ( used for list that aren't made public ), not really disposable ... But can be.

I only use gmail now for public email... And pull them to my phone ( so I don't even see their ads ), but they do a really good job of killing the spam... I don't think I've gotten but maybe 2-3 all year on either gmail account I use.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    As long as you have a reputable hosting provider their email services should be perfectly fine. You could also get a hosted email account (e.g. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/ or a hosted Exchange account (which you can get direct from Microsoft or a slew of other hosts).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 234052
    Spend 30k for a server located in a secure data center.. And plan on spending about 10 hours a month patching, scanning, updating the server and firewall that protects it.

Then who's to say the peoe that you rent space from in the secure data center won't sell your email address ??????

I manage 6 mail servers for clients as well as have several ( like above )...

You're more likely to get spammed from one of those emails that get forwarded around among people ( you've seen the ones that get forwarded 10-15 times ), and everyone's email address is forwarded with it... Than you're going to get from running your own mail server ( like above )...

I have 1 email account on one domain that I run a site on... It's been up and running for over 6 years... The 1 email address is used for contact purposes from a domain management ... I have not received a single piece of spam mail on the account...

Where as the email address one of my sisters has ( that gets forwarded all around )... Gets 50 or more junk and spam mails a day...On that account...

If you go the route you mentioned in the first part... Whose to say the database for the no-ip account is secure ?

In my world, you need 4 email addresses

1. Business only ( only used to communicate with those that understand the risk )
    2. Personal ( semi-private , only shared with a handful of people )
    3. Public ( use for mail list ) - highly disposable... Dropped easily if overrun
    4. Public ( used for list that aren't made public ), not really disposable ... But can be.

I only use gmail now for public email... And pull them to my phone ( so I don't even see their ads ), but they do a really good job of killing the spam... I don't think I've gotten but maybe 2-3 all year on either gmail account I use.
    Thanks, Wezarus. It's always important to consider spam. And I do. However, my main concern is email providers tracking the activity in my email the way Gmail does. So I looking for a solution to that issue more than one that will limit spam.

Hope that doesn't sound like I'm discounting the issue of spam. I'm not. But that's not my primary concern.

Will any of your suggestions solve the issue of advertiser intrusion? Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 234060
    As long as you have a reputable hosting provider their email services should be perfectly fine. You could also get a hosted email account (e.g. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/ or a hosted Exchange account (which you can get direct from Microsoft or a slew of other hosts).
    Will either of those solutions protect me from Gmail-like advertiser monitoring. I don't like the idea of advertisers collecting data on me based on my every online move. It just creeps me out. That's what I want to avoid.

So, if I were to buy a domain name and the hosting to go with it, my email activity and other information at that reputable host would not be shared with advertisers?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nope... Most hosting providers and email system providers are there to make money, bottom line... They are not going to do anything that will make customers walk away...

Now as for the google tracking stuff... The advertisers they share info with is no different than any other... It's not your personal info they share... They ( the advertisers don't care who you are )... But google ads are so prevalant.. Wether you use their email system or not... They track your ip address from site to site... Category to category... The ads other google ads you see are based on your browsing history... What you read, where you visit... None of that has anything to do with email...

It's all IP based monitoring... Everytime an ad is displayed in your browser... ( almost every time )... When the ad is displayed, your ip address is logged, google ad used to be completely based on what the content of the page you are currently on... Their system is so sophisticated now... They of only display ads for where you are, but where you've been... And where they think you may be headed based on thier past history of others doing the same thing...

What's more intriguing... Those Facebook like buttons, and twitter buttons... And all those other... Are all doing the same thing... They can track your browsing history even when or if you're not logged into their systems... They do this so if when you do log in, they an serve up ads based on that history ...

It's not the personal info they care about... It's the aggregate browsing history ... And you can't get around it unless you're running a firewall with a really good learning AD blocker... Ad blocking software just stops the ads from being displayed in your browser, but the history is still being sent to the advertisers... A good firewall denies any connections to the ad servers... So your ip address is never seen...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think I've decided to just use squirrel mail at my host. Do you know any scripts I can upload to my host that can spruce up my personal squirrel mail account at my host and add more functions? Or are those only server side applications the host can only implement? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads