Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi All,

My client's website was built with Drupal 7.19.

The problem is that a "500 Internal Server Error" message appears when making edits a certain way.

- When I navigate to Content > Edit > Save, the error appears. The edits are saved when I look at the page.
    - If I make an edit by navigating directly to the Page > Edit > Save, there is no error.

So all edits are being applied, but there is an error message when editing a certain way.

Why could this be? I contacted the web host (CBeyond) and they did not help. Any steps I can take to further diagnose this issue?

Thanks for any advice.

PS I am strong in HTML/CSS, but very little Server Admin skills.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A 500 error is typically a permission error.

The usual things to look for are have any permissions on any files or folders changed ? If the changes you're submitting are actually updating, then its not a DB RECORD lock issue, but sounds more like a botched .htaccess rule is trying to redirect you to something it shouldn't.

Member #
    The above is correct. It could very well be that the web server configuration has changed and your host should have the decency to look if all folder permissions are correct and if you have rewrites possibly causing issues.

Member #
    http 500 internal server error is a message that can mean a lot of things.
    You should get the exact issue from the apache error_log

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello,
    The issue is still unresolved. I don't have a programming background, so does anyone have any general info how to access/understand apache error log, and internal server errors?
    Thanks for any advice.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Your control panel ( depending on host ), should provide access to any server error logs... Some host will write out the error log to your site in a filer on the root of the site...

I'd check there first, connect via FTP ... See if there is a folder on the root with log files.

If so, most log files, apache or windows, the errors will be spelled out... What file and what line is kicking the error. If its a permission error, it will say so, if a file path or file doesn't exist, it will say so.

Actual detailed error codes can be looked up on google.

Member #
    Have you asked your host for any help regarding this matter? What was their response? Please note that your web server is hopelessly outdated with all the security risks this implies. You or they should look into this as well.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, this probably isn't on the host. VinceWicks gave the best answer...if you FTP into the root of the server, there should be a file called error_log that can be downloaded and edited, with error codes that will indicate what the real problem is.

Since you said "if edits are made a certain way", that implies the site works most of the time, which means that the host itself isn't likely to be responsible. The only scenario I can envision under which they would be, and this is highly unlikely and generally pertains more to Access databases, is a scenario under which write permissions aren't set on the database file itself as WZ suggested. However, this is only possibly true if no edits of any sort (additions, updates, or deletions) can be made. If the database can be written to in any form or fashion, then the permissions are probably correct.

This is probably more along the lines of a malformed query or something to do with processing of an edit request itself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Personally id check your php memory settings!!! Start with 128mb, then 256mb, then 512mb - really shouldn't need any more memory than that!

Member #
    Oh yeah it is in the php.ini file - /usr/local/lib/php.ini the command is "vi /usr/local/lib/php.ini" press "i" to edit and hold shift and press "ZZ" to save... cheers son oh yeah restart apache service "service httpd restart"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads