Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Setting up a VPS from scratch. Please kill me now....

So I decided that I thought it would be a good idea to make the jump from shared hosting to a VPS platform in order to have more control and to learn more about the underlying technology.

I didn't quite know what I was letting myself in for.

I kind of assumed that it would be set up and ready to go, but just give me the option to dig deeper if and when I needed to.

Not the case.

I've had to install everything from scratch and to be fair I did alright to start with.

I got Apache installed and working okay, same with PHP5 and MySQL. Even phpMyAdmin wasn't too difficult.

Now it's come to setting up the DNS name servers (Bind9) and mail servers I've hit a complete wall.

Really could do with pointing in the right direction, some useful guides, tutorials or walk throughs.

Any useful links would be great.

I got a VPS from miniVPS - UK and EU based VPS and SSD VPS Hosting, but their site offers no help, there is the option to raise a support ticket, but I'm sure there is no problem with their service, it's my lack of knowledge.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't know the company you're dealing with, but do they offer cPanel? Most of that stuff is surprisingly easy to do with it and docs.cpanel.net has most of the tutorials for it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Had a good look and sadly no sign of any pre-installed control panels.

Seem like a pretty decent company and the price per month/year for the hardware and share you get is really good, plus their servers are UK based and owned by them. But they offer little support (other than if there's a fault on their network) and no control panels.

A realy good deal if you know the nuts & bolts of a Linux server, but for me a little too much.

I've found Zpanel which should do most of what cPanel will do, and is free. Not managed to get it to install yet though.

I'm pretty sure I can get my money back within 7 days, but I'm not the sort of person to give up that easily.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    UK BASED ? PM me the name of the company...

so I can check them out... Been looking for a decent UK provider for a client.

let me know if the Zpanel works out ... I'm not really versed with Linux at that level either...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the reply.

So basically I set the two name servers to two servers belonging to the host (I'll email to find out).

Then if I'm correct I set -

An A record pointing to my IP address,

Then do I set two CNAME records like this -

ftp CNAME [IP Address]
    www CNAME [IP Adress]

I'll worry about mail server DNS records once I've got this working.

Member #
    Definitely opt for cpanel, usually those to areas are pretty straightforward, just accepting defaults..

Remove Ads