Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to know?

Member #
    Hello! :classic:
    Considering I am still new to the forums (and new to web design,) by all means, if this question was asked before I asked it, please direct me to the thread for more information:
    I am looking for a host but I do not know what I should look for! I am currently creating a site through Dreamweaver with an extensive amount of Flash use. I anticipate my site to consistently grow by additions I add to it (considering it is a sort of database-like website.) I have read through reviews and searched through various forums to get ideas of what different hosting packages offer, but how do I know that I need all of that?

Can someone please simplify the typical terms for me so that I have a better understanding? For instance, I found a package that includes: 650 disk space, 45 GB a month, 10 FTP users (unlimited FTP access,) CGI-BIN, SSI, .htaccess, PHP4 with Zend Optimizer, Perl5, My SQL database; Server: 1.4 Ghz dual Pentium III with 2 GB SDRAM, 9 backbone providers.... for $7.77/mth

can someone translate please? :laugh:

Thank you,
    Abstract

JR
    Member #
    Check this out...

http://www.34sp.com/hostingfeatures.shtml

And click on the 'more info' link for what each bit is about. You will find what is on that page at most hosts.

Also, use www.webopedia.com as a computer terms dictionary.
    JR

Member #
    Excellent sources.

Thank you!
    :classic:

Member #
    Originally posted by Abstract
    650 disk space, 45 GB a month, 10 FTP users (unlimited FTP access,) CGI-BIN, SSI, .htaccess, PHP4 with Zend Optimizer, Perl5, My SQL database; Server: 1.4 Ghz dual Pentium III with 2 GB SDRAM, 9 backbone providers.... for $7.77/mth
    All that for only $7.77 a month? Who offers that?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    650 MB disk space: ability to store up to 650 MB of files possibly including the MySQL database
    45 GB a month: you can transfer up to 45 GB of data each month by a web browser, FTP, etc.
    10 FTP users: up to 10 user accounts for accessing files
    CGI-BIN: allows you to run CGI scripts (mostly useless now)
    SSI: Ability to write .shtml pages
    .htaccess: Ability to override some aspects of Apache to add password protection, extra PHP options, etc.
    PHP4 with Zend Optimizer: PHP (http://www.php.net/) with an acceleration engine that is designed to make your pages load faster
    Perl: ability to write Perl scripts
    MySQL database: ability to use one MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/) database; I'd really want more than one, though
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Originally posted by filburt1
    650 MB disk space: ability to store up to 650 MB of files possibly including the MySQL database
    MySQL database: ability to use one MySQL (http://www.mysql.com/) database; I'd really want more than one, though
    Can you help me understand this better....Does the MySQL database Server Software need to be installed for each database that a client has? You state that you would like more than one: How many would you like and why?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    The server only needs to be installed once. However, I'm saying that it's lame that each user gets only one database. For example, if you had two, you could run vBulletin and some other PHP/MySQL-powered piece of software. With one, it could be very hard.

Member #
    Re: Re: What to know?

Originally posted by Ryan
    All that for only $7.77 a month? Who offers that?
    powweb

Originally posted by filburt1
    45 GB a month: you can transfer up to 45 GB of data each month by a web browser, FTP, etc.
    PHP4 with Zend Optimizer: PHP (http://www.php.net/) with an acceleration engine that is designed to make your pages load faster
    how do I determine how much I need of MB disk space and GB a month?
    and if my site will include a multitude of multimedia how can I make sure that websurfers are not spending a great deal of time waiting for a page to load?

I appreciate the assistance.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    There is no way to accurately determine how much you need, although if you're just starting out, this will be plenty.

Member #
    I am grateful for the advice, thanks! :classic:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads