Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How to limit access to website

The amount of bandwidth my website consumes grows each month and I am now bumping up against the maximum my hosting company allows on my package. I believe some 80% of the hits are from overseas bots that I have no interest in serving.

What's the best way to limit access - perhaps to UK residents only. I currently have a huge .htaccess but it is permanently out of date and updating it each time a genuine user complains is a pain. Not only that, I don't want to block 'genuine' users with my 403.shtml

Thanks.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The amount of bandwidth my website consumes grows each month and I am now bumping up against the maximum my hosting company allows on my package. I believe some 80% of the hits are from overseas bots that I have no interest in serving.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think that you could use Google Analytics to know exactly the source of the traffic to your site.
    The easy, and radical, solution would be to restrict the site for UK visitors only. This can be accomplished using a database with the IP ranges for people of UK. You can download it from many sites, for example GeoLite, and then delete all the records outside of the UK (in order to reduce the server load to make the SQL request).
    Another way would be to block only visitors from typical spamming countries.

Member #
    Liked
    543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ramz View Post
    I think that you could use Google Analytics to know exactly the source of the traffic to your site.
    The easy, and radical, solution would be to restrict the site for UK visitors only. This can be accomplished using a database with the IP ranges for people of UK. You can download it from many sites, for example GeoLite, and then delete all the records outside of the UK (in order to reduce the server load to make the SQL request).
    Another way would be to block only visitors from typical spamming countries.
    This is over 2 years old. The post before yours was just a copy/paste of a portion of the original, but even that was pretty old. Please if you can, do not bring up dead posts. I have never even seen that user so its safe to assume he isn't going to get much from your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    CloudFlare is a free service that can help out if you're concerned about mailicious bots and scrapers that will do nothing but waste your bandwidth. That said, you should consider moving to a hosting company that can grow with you, rather than limiting the success of your site by ditching visitors when you're near your bandwidth cap.

Edit: wow, that post is two years old. Oops!

Remove Ads