Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Having trouble accessing my website from my school's network

I know the first thing that comes to mind when you read the title is "Well duh, it's blocked," but I don't believe that is the problem. Here's what's going on:

I am running my websites on a VPS I rent from Crissic Solutions (Great company, btw! Love em!), and from home, on a mobile network, at my friend's house, etc. it loads completely fine. When I am at school however, where one of my websites is needed most (I'm making a website for our Technology Student Association), it refuses to load on any of the computers. The odd thing, though, is that using my phone on the school's WiFi, I can load the website just fine. When I pull out my laptop, again using the school's WiFi, I cannot load the website. The loading bar progresses a bit and then just stops. The school computers experience the same problem, both Mac and Windows, in Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and IE. Does this sound like anything anyone has experienced, or is there a way I can see what my web browser is doing while it just hangs there? I experimented and Telnetted to port 80 of my website, then wrote the following headers:

GET / HTTP/1.1
    Host: mywebsite.com

and submitted it, and the website was returned just as fast as it should, on the exact same computers that cannot load it through the web browser.. I really am lost. Any ideas?

Just to make it clear:
    • None of my websites will load on computers through web browsers at the school. Other websites (like Google) load just fine.
    • My website will load just fine on my phone using the school's WiFi, which has all the same filters as ethernet.
    • The websites will not load on my personal laptop, which rules out the school's computers being the issue.
    • When using Telnet, I can load the website in just a couple of seconds, no problem.
    • I do not use CloudFlare or any other CDN. All caching/minifying is done on my end.
    • All my websites run on WordPress.
    Last edited by MitchTalmadge; Nov 04th, 2014 at 10:57 PM.

Member #
    It decided to work today, I have no idea what caused it or if it will happen again, but it seems to be working now. Odd.

Remove Ads