Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Help Setting up Windows 2012 Server

Hi Guys,

Some of you may know already (esp.TheGame1264 and Ronald Roe) after numerous posts regarding my attempts to do 301 redirects etc with my old cranky sh*t windows 2003 server and not coming right simply because I didn't want to compromise everything I had on an already established server (ie: I was cautious to do any major changes in-case it effects everything on my server - which I may not have been able to fix immediately). Anyway I've been meaning to rent out a newer dedicated server and although I've been leaning towards Linux ... I decided to keep with Windows simply because I'm already familiar with the OS and the last thing I need is another extra, major learning curve trying to familiarize with a different OS, never mind trying to setup a working / secure server - which I am a complete newbie at, as it is.

My aim is to get my new server working / secure / hosting websites and ready to FSU!

So I got all the details from the company I'm renting the dedicated server from and I connected to it via RDC.... the first thing I noticed when logged in was a window saying "SERVER MANAGER" ... in this window and under the tab "LOCAL SERVER" ... it seems everything (well the main things) has already been setup already because I figured that under the tab "ALL SERVERS" ... it says "All servers: 1 total".

POTENTIAL ISSUES?:

What I also noticed in the SERVER MANAGER window is a flag with an exclamation warning sign next to it saying "Configuration required for windows server update services at WIN******* "

... and in the windows taskbar, there's another flag icon saying "Solve PC issues: 2 Important messages"
    a) Restart to repair driver issues (important)
    b) Turn on windows smartscreen (important)

I'm thinking - why do I already have "issues" when we've just launched the new server? Are these warnings I should abide to?

So those are the first things I noticed.

Now within the SERVER MANAGER window ... I noticed IIS and immediately I'm like HELL NO!!

After what I've experienced with IIS (and what I've heard) ... I don't think I ever want to use it again. I am interested in using WAMP or the AMP part but more specifically APACHE because I feel this makes 301 redirect / canonicalization / multiple URLs variants etc much more simpler and easier to solve with HTACCESS ... so does that mean that the if I decide to use WAMP / AMP ... does that make the whole / entire SERVER MANAGER application (which I assume is default for windows 2012 server) ... N/A? IE: If I download WAMP / AMP ... does that mean I don't need to access / use the SERVER MANAGER?

WAMP:

Regarding WAMP ... I see it's already been installed on the server which I'm surprised because our Hosting company said that we'd have to download WAMP (AMP) if we'd wish to use it (maybe the wamp package is default in the latest windows 2012 server?).
    When I click the START WAMPSERVER I notice an icon appear in the task bar. When I hover over it, it says OFFLINE ... but when I click the icon to show the menu and click PUT ONLINE ... I get an error saying:

AESTAN TRAY MENU
    could not execute menu item (internal error) [exception] Could not perform service action: The service has not been started.
    Is this a conflict with IIS or the SERVER MANAGER (because this application is running)?

When I open up my browser ... and type LOCALHOST/ in the url... I get a page saying IIS8 Windows Server which obviously means I have IIS running.

As mentioned above ... I am a newbie so as much layman talk would be appreciated

Remove Ads